Problem with my gps

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Problem with my gps

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Yesterday I finished installing my Humminbird 858c DI Once i had everything plugged in in the driveway it worked fine had temp depth speed and my location in coordinates. Once i took it out on the water the speed and my gps locaiton wouldn't show up on the unit. Not to sure how that happened nothing is damaged and it worked fine in my driveway but than it just stopped working. Has anyone had this happen before. If it matters no i do not have the navionics chip yet.

Brian
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Problem with my gps

Post by CNs »

depth will not show up without the transducer being in water. You may have had it in demo mode.

When you turn it may give options on what to show. read the screen.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Did the other functions work okay? Could you read bottom, were you marking anything, etc? Also, did you cycle through the various menus? On my Humminbird, there is one screen where it shows which satellites are locked in and it will also give you your GPS coordinates. It doesn't take very long to lock in, maybe 20 seconds or so. Not having the chip in shouldn't matter. Obviously you won't have the map overlays, but you should still have GPS functions without it (position, speed, you can create waypoints, etc.).
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

When i was in the driveway i had the "depth" the temperature was bang on in the drive way. When i turned the power off than set up the gps puck and than powered it up and the time was on their my gps location was on there and my current speed was on their. Once i got onto the water I turned it on and only had depth and water temp and the graph was working marking stuff on the bottom was just odd that it worked in my driveway and than poof missing time of day speed and gps location ill take another look at it tomorrow if i have the chance and make sure i didn't have it in demo mode.

Brian
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Bumping cause I really haven't been able to figure it out. I'm missing the boxes that have time gps location and speed but when i did the initial installation i had all the boxes temp depth gps speed and time. Once i got on the water i lost my gps location speed and time boxes without touching anything. has anyone ever had this happened before I check the system setup and it passes the self test it says that temp is connected because it is connected to my transducer but my gps isn't connected even though it is connected and followed the instruction to the T. Could my gps unit be dead or am i just crazy?

Brian
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I would find a friend with a known good working as-grp puck, and test it to rule out the puck, i would also check with HB and see if your machine is running on the most up to date software,
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

If you are near kanata your welcome to plug it into my boat, mine work fine