Roller vs Bunk trailer

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Hosseye
Participant
Participant

Roller vs Bunk trailer

Post by Hosseye »

Hi Folks
I recently purchased a boat and was given a roller vs a bunk trailer (which was originally ordered).
I am new to this and would like thoughts and opinions please.
I love being able to drive right up on the trailer no issues to the front however doing this alone is very difficult ...
I am going to research through past posts as well
thanks
J
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Re: Roller vs Bunk trailer

Post by badbass72 »

My last boat was a Skeeter fish and ski with rollers...the new Skeeter has bunks and despite having the old one 7 years this one is much easier to load alone, especially in current. If they can't get you the one you wanted with bunks my only advice is to make sure not to go as deep as you would with the bunk style and don't come on as fast...easy enough to power it up once you are on straight and should only take a half dozen turns on the winch.
Enjoy it regardless...it's a boat you will find a way to make it work lol.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I was always told that bunks support the boat better, but then again most bunks have carpet which holds moisture against the boat..

I have Bunks and love them, well adjusted bunks will align the boat as you make your way onto the trailer and in current it a huge help.

Good luck !
Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

My personal thought is bunks are better as it distributes the weight of the boat over the entire bunk instead of a few points with the roller.

I doubt it will be an issue though because most large cruisers I see have roller bunkers and that is a lot more weight with no issues.

The only area you will have issues is trying to powerload (wouldn't recommend this with a bunk trailor) and launching. do not undo that strap until you are in the water. There would be less resistance with a roller trailer so the boat would fly off easier... nothing like launching your boat three feet from shore at a busy launch!!!. I'm sure that would ruin your day pretty quick.
Last edited by lape0019 on Thu May 07, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

lape0019 wrote:launching. do not undo that strap until you are in the water.
THIS ^^^^^^^
My very first Bass boat was a Glastron (1970) It came with a trailer that had rollers, I could move the boat effortlessly on the trailer while parked.
Keep that front hook tied on.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

Lape0019....I think you meant to say the rollers launch with less resistance but good point...happened to me at the launch on the Bonnechere River. Had the memory blocked until this thread. Steep launches are definitely an ordeal when you are alone.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks badbass!

I fixed that!!!
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

The key question is hull material? Aluminium or glass? Generally speaking roller bunks should be used on glass hulls exclusively. Rollers can and will dent aluminium hulls.

-P
Hosseye
Participant
Participant

Post by Hosseye »

Thanks all, think I may speak to the dealer about switching to a bunk. The boat is 17 ft aluminum fish n ski. Think a bunk will be easier for wife n kids as well.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I've only ever had bunk trailers, but I've had no problem with them at all. The one area where rollers seem to be better are at shallow launches when you can't float the boat off of the trailer. In those cases, I'm told that launching is a simple case of giving the boat a bit of a push and it slides right off. You aren't doing that with a bunk trailer, LOL.

The only other word of advice I'll give is to make sure that you get a proper trailer. Lots of packages out there seem to really skimp on the trailer to keep the price down and it's not the place to cut corners IMHO. Make sure the weight rating takes into account the weight of the boat, engine, kicker, full tank of gas, gear, etc. Also make sure it's the right width and that your boat sits comfortably between the fenders on the trailer. I've seen many where the boat has to sit above the fenders because the trailer is just too narrow.

Enjoy your rig!
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I've always used bunk trailers. I think they are much easier to load a boat by yourself. The boat will stay put when you run it on the trailer and you can use the motor to line the boat up with the bow roller. Guides for the side are a real good idea too.

I was told once, that rollers can be hard on a riveted boat hull because the rollers don't evenly support the hull and the riveted joints will work, causing damage. Maybe it's a fairy tale.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

Mine has bunks which are great for loading and unloading solo ,, especially on steep ramps.
My Inlaws old boat was a 19ft crestliner deepwater rig.. it had originally rollers only ( not even load guides) and what a pia loading solo with any significant grade.
1 roll back and scramble to save and wasnt long before load guides were added,, and a pair of bunks under the front 3rd. When fully loaded the front bunks lifted the boat off the front roller allowing the boat to "stick" in place and center when power loading.