Anyone had dealings with this guy??

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Anyone had dealings with this guy??

Post by Cyber »

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences to share about a '30 years of experience' boat repair guy named
Dennis J. Doherty, used to operate under "CMS Boat Repairs", now operating under "Ottawa Engines.com" :? :shock:

I'd like to hear some feedback on this fella before I pass judgement on what I deem to be a gross
indecency committed on my poor Four Winns. :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Anyone had dealings with this guy??

Post by ShawnD »

I have no idea who that is, what happened?
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I checked the BBB for all 3 of those names/companies, and there's nothing matching any of them.
Two-Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Two-Feather »

Cyber wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences to share about a '30 years of experience' boat repair guy named
Dennis J. Doherty, used to operate under "CMS Boat Repairs", now operating under "Ottawa Engines.com" :? :shock:

I'd like to hear some feedback on this fella before I pass judgement on what I deem to be a gross
indecency committed on my poor Four Winns. :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:
I'd be interested to know what happened too.
I used this guy to shrink wrap my boat last fall...the shrink wrap looks good but won't know anymore until I unwrap it in the spring.

Cheers
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

The a$$hole completely ripped me off on a transom repair. :shock: :evil:
'Talked the talk' but certainly didn't 'walk the walk', I ended up having to remove
the half-assed job he did and replace the transom myself. Ripped me off for
$340 total, and tried to convince me that it was a good job, what a jacka$$!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Wow that's awe full. .
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

That's a real shame. At the very least report him to the BBB. You could also post on OOD and OFC to warn others about this guy

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I wouldn't do a proper transom job for under $2500, $340 shoulda' been a red flag Bill.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

PunchRig wrote:I wouldn't do a proper transom job for under $2500, $340 shoulda' been a red flag Bill.
Ya, well I thought that seemed awful cheap, but he told me he was gonna do it the way it should be done. :roll: :roll:
(you know: laminate 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together with fib. mat between, then resin all sides, put it
in in a bed of 'peanut butter', fill any voids with the p.b. mix, and tab it all in around the edges...... I've
done it before myself and I know it's a tedious messy job, didn't wanna do it again so I took this a$$hole
at his word and gave him $300 up front, then he asked me for another $40 to buy more resin & filler so I
assumed he was doing it right........long story short wasted $340 and 3 weeks of the early season. If the guy
had said "I'm going to do a half-a$$ed job for $340" I would have passed, but he sounded like he was going to
do it right so I guess I'm a bonehead for trusting him, just wanted to warn others not to fall for his blatant
BULLSH1T!!!!!!!)
In the end I ripped out the mess he made and did it myself, lesson learned I suppose, but I still think the
jerk is a king size BS'er!!!!!!!!! :P :P :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And BTW, that must be one helluva transom for $2500!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

why? you cant do a transom proper,without some part of the top cap,(all boats are built different) without knees,top notch materials and new gelcoat. it's never just a spot on the transom,I dont know anybody with a proper shop,tools,using correct,quality materials,that can work for less than $100/hr.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

My nephew's boat had a transom that cost around $15. Granted, the gel-coat wasn't too shiny, but it did float pretty good. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe this is the complexity of boat that this guy who ripped you off is used to working on???

gymee
Participant
Participant

Post by gymee »

Does any one have his phone number or address? I can't find it any more. Used him to winterize my boat but found out that the block is leaking now. Might have cost me my engine which I am told might cost me from $8000-$10000 to repair. His work was supposed to be guaranteed so I need to reach him. Can any body post his number? His website has been taken down.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

gymee wrote: His work was supposed to be guaranteed so I need to reach him. Can any body post his number? His website has been taken down.
Of course it has, changes "business names" like most people change underwear.

Complete fly-by-night bullsh1tter!! His address is 1 Bowmoor (sp.??) Ave. in Nepean,
off Inverness, which is off Meadowlands between Woodroffe and Merivale.
Phone # won't do you much good, he'll never answer it!! :evil: :evil:
Low-life scumbag rip-off artist!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Two-Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Two-Feather »

gymee wrote:Does any one have his phone number or address? I can't find it any more.
His email address is not functioning either...I'm not surprised

Jeff
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

1) I am sincerely very sorry to hear folks were taken for a ride.

2) Caveat Emptor. Unless I personally know the guy running a business out of his garage I avoid at all costs....generally because they do not have the ability, tools or back-up to guarantee their work.

I'd report the guy to the police or at the very least it seems a few folk here have good grounds to launch a claim in Small Claims court. Take pics, meet and represent yourselves. Guaranteed the judgement will be in your favour if you go as a group. $10k for a repair for shoddy work would leave me some pi$$ed!