Lowrance HDS-5 and HDS-5x

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Lowrance HDS-5 and HDS-5x

Post by el_caboing »

Hi All,

Just bought myself a new boat and it came with these two units. I know for certain that the HDS-5 (console) is a gen1 and pretty sure the HDS-5x (bow) is also gen1. Now being the computer geek that I am I was doing some research and it seems that both of these units have software that can be updated. The HDS-5 can be done via sd card but the HDS-5x needs to be networked together with the Lowrance specific ethernet cable which costs quite a bit of bucks. I get that both units will perform better when updated but before I spend money on the cable (damn proprietary connections) would I be able to share GPS data between the HDS-5 and HDS-5x? Meaning if I am looking at the HDS-5x at the bow will I be able to get GPS chart plotting locations from the console mounted HDS-5 or is that network connection just for using one sonar and sending data that way? Any info would be much appreciated. Oh one more thing, anyone have a used navionics chip for the HDS-5 unit? I live in Cornwall and would be looking for that region. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lowrance HDS-5 and HDS-5x

Post by Paul Shibata »

The beauty of the HDS platform and the networking architecture allows you to share the information as suggested between these older units. To accomplish what you would like to do, you will need to set up an nmea 2000 network (not proprietary) between these 2 units. Once accomplished you will be able to update to the latest free firmware and more importantly your HDS5x will now become a combo unit with gps functionality. Unfortunately it will not display the mapping data but you will certainly see the waypoints and will of course be able to navigate accordingly. I would recommend an NMEA 2000 starter kit http://store.navico.com/ProductDetail.a ... 00-0124-69 which is available locally. You will also need an additional "T" connector (N2K-T-RD) and another 2' cable (N2KEXT-2RD). NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) is the standard agreed upon by all of the manufactures, kinda like HDMI, USB etc. You can source these same parts from a variety of other manufacturers (google is your friend here) however they may not be cheaper.

The following is a basic NMEA 2000 network, for your situation omit the parts which connect to the external GPS antenna (LCG3000).

Good Luck, ask as many additional questions as you wish

-Paul

el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Post by el_caboing »

Thx Paul so for roughly $150 or so canadian dollars I can have both units connected. So what would the HDS-5x unit look like with just way points, would it look like the HDS-5 when you remove the navionics chip? This definitely looks doable. Any good places in Canada that sell this stuff that you can recommend?

Steve
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Post by el_caboing »

The roughly $150 Canadian ended being more like $200 Canadian before tax. :shock: Since I need to purchase a navionics card and let's say I get a new one since finding a used one seems difficult, what are the chances of picking up an HDS-5 gen 2 with navioncs, moving the HDS-5 gen 1 to the bow and then only connecting the network cable between the two? That way I have gps and charts on both and almost at the same cost? Would that work?
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

I have a Navionics chip for the St. Lawrence (along with a lot of other areas)
that I'd be willing to part with, only drawback is distance between us.
However I will be in Cardinal on Saturday so if you're interested
we could hook up in that area sometime Saturday and it would
be a lot shorter distance for you to travel. :wink:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

el_caboing wrote:The roughly $150 Canadian ended being more like $200 Canadian before tax. :shock: Since I need to purchase a navionics card and let's say I get a new one since finding a used one seems difficult, what are the chances of picking up an HDS-5 gen 2 with navioncs, moving the HDS-5 gen 1 to the bow and then only connecting the network cable between the two? That way I have gps and charts on both and almost at the same cost? Would that work?

Yes there`s no doubt that finding a used HDS 5 G2 would enhance the GPS functionality. Especially if you keep the HDS 5x and use it as a dedicated sonar thus doubling your screen real estate. If you elect to go this route I would be happy to update your 5x given that an ethernet network would be the better choice to link your units.

-Paul
wallyandre
Participant
Participant

Post by wallyandre »

If you want to see what you can get with the newer software version on youre HDS5X:

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowrance ... 0Notes.pdf

How to the update:

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Software- ... re-Update/

As Paul stated with a Gen2 with the latest update you will be able to share the Navionics map on both unit with only one card! Talk about networking.
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Post by el_caboing »

Would 2 HDS-5 G1 networked together give you shared chart plotting via one navionics chip or do you require a G2 for that capability? Or is this a better question to ask Lowrance?

Steve
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Unfortunately in order to map share, all of the units need to be G2 or newer.

-P
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

el_caboing wrote:Would 2 HDS-5 G1 networked together give you shared chart plotting via one navionics chip or do you require a G2 for that capability? Or is this a better question to ask Lowrance?

Steve
Just an FYI, not sure if you know him (or know of him) but
Paul Shibata (who answereed you earlier) is a Lowrance Rep
and a 'guru' of anything related to them. I sat in on one of
his seminars and learned a wealth of stuff I didn't know about
using a sonar and GPS plotter. I'm pretty sure he can answer
ANY questions you may have about the unit(s). :)
P.S.: You'll LOVE it!!!! :wink: :D
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Post by el_caboing »

Pardon my ignorance but I did not know that. Paul thank you for taking the time and everyone else that has taken the time answering my questions. It is much appreciated. I'm very new to chart plotters as this is my first boat that has ever had one and would love to know when there might be another seminar given by Paul on the subject because I am very green on that subject.

So I guess now that I have educated myself a little, the better question to ask is this. What exactly will I need to be able to see charting on both units driven by one navionics chip. What I'm understanding is I would need to obtain two g2 models of HDS be it 5, 7, 8 etc... and network them together via the yellow connector. So I guess another question to Mr Shibata would be does Lowrance offer a trade up program for such a case? If so I would be interested or would I have to find someone to buy mine then purchase some g2 models. Again thank you all for the help.

Steve
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

My recommendation would be to either sell your units and purchase G2`s or just purchase an additional Navionics card.

-Paul
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Post by el_caboing »

Paul Shibata wrote:My recommendation would be to either sell your units and purchase G2`s or just purchase an additional Navionics card.

-Paul
Thx Paul, I will keep my eyes open.

Steve
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Post by el_caboing »

So I got my nmea cables and Ethernet cable all hooked up finally. Had to take the afternoon off. Kids and their sports keep me too busy. Anyway now my question is, how do I send the 5x waypoints and GPS coordinates? Is there a manual to step you through all that? Any help would be great.

Steve