Which battery?!? Help!

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Which battery?!? Help!

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I have a 6 amp, 12 volt Guest Charger
I have 3 batteries on my boat

Which one am I supposed to attach it to?
I have the engine battery at the back and one battery on either side at the windshield

I am running a 55lb thrust motorguide

I do have a battery switch on the boat to whereby I can shut all batteries off or select which ones I want on

Tjanks
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Which battery?!? Help!

Post by lape0019 »

I'm assuming the guy you bought the boat from added an additional deep cycle up front. Unless your TM is a 12/24, there isn't really a reason to have two deep cycles as a 55lb thrust TM is a 12v.

If it is only a one bank charger, stick it on the deep cycle that runs the trolling motor.

The big motor will charge the starting battery provided you run it long enough.

As a future upgrade, I would consider getting a 2 or 3 bank charger. It just makes life easier. I run a MK330 (3 bank, 10amps per bank) and charge all three as soon as I get home but I have a 24v system. This is why I stated 2 or 3 bank.

Good luck
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

I have an 80 lb thrust 24volt minn kota... It is hooked up to 2 batteries up front and my guest charger is hooked up to those two batteries. The battery at the rear for my starter of my boat is not hooked up to a charger (charges as you run the outboard).
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Installed a Blue Sea SI-ACR Automatic Charging Relay in my boat.

Two reasons. The relay allows your to use all your batteries for your trolling motor and electronics, then isolates the trolling motor battery the motor battery from before the voltage is too low to start the motor.

With the automatic charge relay you attach your charger to the trolling motor battery and it also charges the motor battery.

Had it for five years now and it works slick. Easy to wire and warrantied for as long as you own it.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Your trollong motor batteries are probably hooked up in parallel. This increases your amp hrs (longer run time) while keeping your voltage at 12 volts. It’s like having a bigger battery. Follow the instructions specific to your charger for hooking up to specific applications. Unless you're running alot of electronics and not going on a run long enough for the main motor to charge your starting battery, you don't need to have it hooked up to a charger.