Prop and RPM

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Prop and RPM

Post by bostonwhaler »

Looking for someone to help me out with fitting a proper prop on my boat. I have been struggling with it for a while. I am taking the boat out on Sat and hope to figure out what prop I need. From what I remember last year the 19 Pitch that I have on it would run me at 5500 rpm. 3-4 second hole shot but not allot of top end speed. Found out over the winter that my WOT rpm should be 5000 rpm.
If you can help me figure this one out send me a text 613-281-8409
thanks
Derek
Hollywood catches more perch than me
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Prop and RPM

Post by Wallyboss »

First make certain that the motor was installed at the right height on the transom. Then out on the water go WOT trim the motor properly and check your Rpm.

I've just made changes to my pitch, never tried going from a 3 to a 4 blade prop or changed size of prop.

Then every drop of 1 inch of pitch your RPM will go 200 higher.
or

Then every 1 inch of pitch higher your RPM will drop by 200. to hit the 5000 WOT RPM
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

I have raised my motor as far as I can without it cavitating. I was able to get that figured out at the end of last year. I played with props for 2 years before I learned about raising the motor, and about my motors preferred WOT RPM . looking back at my notes I was able to get it to 43 mph
Thanks for the tips. I will be checking it on the water on Sat
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

What motor do you have and can I assume it's pushing a Boston whaler?

Wallayebosses info is a great rule of thumb but It isn't always the case. Sometimes you will get less tha. 200rpm difference between prop pitches.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

I know, I would have assumed a whaler as well. My first boat was a whaler, this one is a sd80fs skeeter with a 90hp V4 evinrude. ( both are 1985)
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

Was to windy to go out today. But I was able to swap my cranking battery to one that was almost 30lbs lighter. My old one was almost 70lbs. Because of changing the battery I was able to shift it forward over a foot in my rear compartment. Hopefully this helps as well.