Mod's for a Boston whaler montauk 190

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
tidefighter
Participant
Participant

Mod's for a Boston whaler montauk 190

Post by tidefighter »

Looking for suggestion on bow mounted trolling motors for my montauk 190. The rail that goes around the montauk makes it difficult to mount a trolling motor to the bow. I am open to suggestion for trolling motors that would fit with my configuration and also to suggestions of people who could do modifications to the railing system to accommodate a trolling motor.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (962.03 KiB) Viewed 5019 times
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Mod's for a Boston whaler montauk 190

Post by Kerrazy »

Do you have a good pic of the bow?
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
tidefighter
Participant
Participant

Post by tidefighter »

This isn't a great photo of the bow, but Im gonna go down to the dock and snap a couple more when this weather clears.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I would be tempted to cut clean and open up the entire bow area right at the supports, leaving maybe 3-4 inches past the support, so it looks like it was meant to be.

Then cover cut ends with a cap, a. To offer a finished look and b. To prevent getting cut.

Once that is opened up, you have lots of room to mount a trolling motor plate.

As the BW Bow sits really high, given it is a true ocean growing vessel, I would suspect you will want a long shaft TM. 60" or better maybe...
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

How high are the railings?

I'm thinking you may be able to get a terrova or Powerdrive in there without modifying the bars but even that may be difficult. Knowing how the cable steer versions work, I doubt they would clamp into place properly without hitting those rails.
tidefighter
Participant
Participant

Post by tidefighter »

I was thinking about getting a section of the rail cut out on the bow and having someone make a quick mount bracket so that I can remove/install the section as needed. That said, if there is a trolling motor rig that would work around the rail i would rather that option.

I have included some images of work a guy had done on the exact same boat down south.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (241.11 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.05 KiB) Viewed 4974 times
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I had one of the 12 foot Boston whalers many years ago and as you may have found out, people will pull on your railing and if it is not one piece, at some point they will rip your railing off the boat. It happened to me once, I fixed it, then it happened again and I took the railing off.
So the question is, do you need the railing?
Really you do not but it makes the boat unique.
Two ideas for you;
1) The railing seems to be fairly high off the deck, so have an extension made so that the motor is actually mounted about 2 feet in front of the boat.
It would be pretty slick if the extension could be modified so that you can slide it in and out so the motor would not be in the way for launching or bringing the boat into the trailer.
2) set up a motor that just slides in and of a plate. Then you take it off when you have the boat back on the trailer and put it on when you launch. If it is a motor that has a remote to run it you do not have to worry about the extra cable. With this set up, you use the motor by leaving it in the upright position and just lift it straight out of the water in the highest position when you are underway and then just lower straight down into the water when you want to use it.
Hopefully these ideas get you some other suggestions, but think about taking the railing off. (put it back on when you sell the boat)
David
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Tide fighter, that answers mys question right there. I think the railing will just be a tad too low even for an electrics steer
To be locked in position.

As super had stated, you could mount an electric steer and then just move it all of the way up when running but there is at least a few disadvantages to doing that.

1, if you hit a wave the wrong way, the only thing holding the head up so high is the pressure from the height adjust knob. One wrong bump and your motor head ends up in the water and next thing you know, you need a new shaft. The minnkota are indestructable but that does not mean the composite shaft does not bend...

2, with the TM plugged in, you are always drawing power from the battery. When locked in the driving position, power is cut to reduce energy consumption. You could reach down and unplug it if you get a quick release plug but that would seam like a hassle.

3, there would be no support for the head while riding vertical. Since a 60" shaft would almost be a necessity, that is sitting pretty high and that shaft would flex an awful lot. I use a ram mount to lock mine in place because even when it is down, if I hit a bump, it move a lot.'

I think short of removing the railing, your best option would to have something tabbed up like in the pics above.

And FYI, that motor is a riptide. It is the terrova equivalent for saltwater.
tidefighter
Participant
Participant

Post by tidefighter »

Thanks everyone. I never even thought about the last two suggestions. I'm gonna rattle these options around my brain and figure something out. At least I now know that there are viable options. I will post follow up pics of what I go with in case anyone else has this delema.

Thanks again.