Building a casting deck for a 14 FT aluminum boat?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Building a casting deck for a 14 FT aluminum boat?

Post by qcconnection »

Subject line says it all.

Been thinking about doing this for a while. Has anyone ever done something like this?

It`s an older Springbok 14 footer. 3 bench seats. I was thinking of turning from the mid seat up to the bow into a casting deck and adding a pedestel with a seat.

If anyone has any experience or photos of similar things they`ve done, shar away!!
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Building a casting deck for a 14 FT aluminum boat?

Post by cgates »

Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

Here's a related thread from last year

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php? ... 34#p369024
ImageImage
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

Seen lots of guys customize old tin v-hulls and john boats. Just google it and look at images and you'll see all sorts of stuff from pretty basic work, to some pretty elaborate stuff.
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

Post by Ducker2 »

Just remember when designing a casting deck that wood weight adds up quickly. You should try some metal wall studs that way you can brace from bench to bench with a narrower span so you can go with a thinner plywood. Ive done 2 jon boat modifications a you learn quick what works and doesn't. If I was to do another mod I would look at the steel studs and build your frame work then go to metal supermarket with a deck template so you can have them custom cut some sort of aluminum sheeting strong enough to stand on that could be riveted. If you would like storage underneath I would also include a hatch on the template. You can then always beef it up underneath if you were interested in putting in a pedestal seat.
Brian
Participant
Participant

Post by Brian »

Check this site out: http://www.tinboats.net/

It's amazing what some people come up with. There are a lot of build threads on that site with all sorts of ideas on all sorts of tin cans. You will see everything from wood, to metal supports and decks, and different ways to finish surfaces. Carpet, non-slip, etc..
- Brian
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I've done it.

You can buy aluminum supports from home depot. but head to the door and window section, the have 8ft lengths that seem to be cheaper than the ones in the hardware section they can be cut down to the size you need. Pick up a rivet gun (don't get the cheap on. for flooring you can use 5/8" or thicker depending on the distance between supports. I sanded mine down to a smooth finish and added a could layers of varithane to repel the water. Finally for carpet indoor/outdoor carpet holds up extremely well.

You can go with a just a straight deck that sit on top of seats that can be easily removed or go with a permanent mounting option. keep in mind the wood and supports you add the heavier and slower your boat goes.
- Rick Ozga