Aluminum repair

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
cweatherell
Participant
Participant

Aluminum repair

Post by cweatherell »

I picked up a used Misty River and want to cover the bilge drain, live well in and outputs. The local marina, Pirate Cove quoted a minimum $350 for 3 x 3/4" holes patched by welding. So I can either find a local welder (suggestions?) or patch myself with rivets, aluminum and 5400 cement. Wrt patching myself, suggestions on rivet size and material? I assumed Aluminum but see others suggestion SS. And gauge of aluminum 16? Any suggestions on source of aluminum, Loucon comes to mind but they are pricey.

Thx
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Aluminum repair

Post by Roblin »

If your patching aluminum the best way is welding or a riveted patch and if you don't have the tools or expertise, it's cost you to have someone do it for you. The only other way I can think of doing it would be bulk tank fittings and a bung.

The fittings are water proof for bulk tanks and you can cut off the excess fitting tube so it'll be close to flush. They come in white, grey and black. Maybe other colours but I'm not sure. The fittings are threaded and screw together clamping onto the hull so there's no extra holes. It also leaves the holes available in case you decide to use them in the future. Best of all, they're very easy to install and fairly cheap.

You can buy the fittings online or a shop that sell bulk tank supplies. Dairy, pump or well suppliers would care bulk tank fittings. I'm sure they come in 3/4 inch.

Hope this helps.
cweatherell
Participant
Participant

Post by cweatherell »

Thx, I'll go for the patch and rivet...
creekchubb
Participant
Participant

Post by creekchubb »

I was looking at some stuff called muggy weld super alloy a while back, which looks like it would be suitable for smaller holes. Take a look on youtube - it's basically a welding stick that you can braze with a small torch. Here are a couple links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKA1wRfPDoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7nPz4y5IE4

It's sold in canada by a company called Caswell (http://www.caswellcanada.ca/shop/produc ... 291&page=1) - pretty expensive, but it might be worth it. I've ordered some stuff from caswell before, and they are pretty good (i'll probably be ordering some powder coating stuff from them in the near future:)

Good luck!
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Best place for small pc. Aluminum purchases is metal supermarket off of hawthorne rd., they sell their cut offs and leftovers very reasonably, and you can cull thru the extensive selection.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

If u are interested in having it welded shoot me a msg and we can work something out
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
cweatherell
Participant
Participant

Post by cweatherell »

Thx all, picking up Al pieces tomorrow (Tuesday) am at the metal supermarket on Stevanage, apparently they are filling 2-3 orders a day for marine Al.

Carl