Side Imaging Do you use it?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
chill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Side Imaging Do you use it?

Post by chill »

Hey folks

Looking at upgrading my ancient fishinder and have been checking out some different models. Whats your opinion on the side imaging option vs just the sonar /down imaging. Do you find you actually use it? Any particular situations ? Any insight welcome.

Cheers

Chris
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Side Imaging Do you use it?

Post by Roblin »

I've had a Humminbird 798si for 5 years now. Great fish finder. I've played with the side image but never really use it to fish. Where I fish is pretty flat so I wanted to use the si to find rock piles. To get the resolution good enough to see the rocks, you have to pull the beam in tight and go slow. Wasted some time for no benefit. The si has a down image feature and I downloaded it into my unit. It wasn't worth the time I spent in front of the computer.

What I do use all the time is the plotter and a Navionics card. This is super and I can't imagine not having it. The chart details are really accurate and put me where I want to be. It also lets me return to the spot without throwing out marker bouy's. You can use the plotter without the card, but you have to find the location you want first and then mark it.

The only thing I would do different is get a bigger screen. I've heard the you should put your money into the screen size and that's right.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I've only run HB SI, but had it in it's early stages, it's an amazing tool, couldn't fish w/out it, just wish it worked at faster speeds, yes, bigger screen the better, i have a 997 and an 1198, but dedicate the 997 to SI and the 11 for split screen 2d and charting, the 998/99 8" screen is good for SI, unless you have $3k for a new 1199. My buddy has an 899 and i find a huge difference between the screens, even tho they use the same 'ducer. Try to get a 998 or 999,or if you like lowrance a 9 touch. I like it for musky fishing, it can mark big fish,structure and baitfish well, you can mark waypoints while you troll along, and come back to them later. Works good in the larry as well for locating isolated rockpiles/structure. I was lucky enough several years ago to get alot of teaching from a couple HB prostaff guys, which sped up the learning curve for me.
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Modern electronics are much more than just a novelty, rather they have become an integral tool in the quest for fish of all species. Having spent several days on the water with Elite Series pros during their official practice, amazingly very few hours were spent casting lures (10%) most of the time was spent peering into their electronics absorbing the amazing amount of information provided. Depending upon your end game as others suggested purchasing the largest screen will be welcomed especially if you happen to be of the vintage with faltering eyesight . My recommendation would be one of the Touch Series Lowrance units which will provide you with an incomparable degree of options as you grow into your electronics and determine what best fits your needs. The touch series feature the most powerful processors including chirp sonar, following this your ability to add features and technology is limitless. If you are constrained by budget as most of us are, you have the luxury of adding side scan when the funds or need arises. The whole Lowrance platform is founded on the premise of networking thus enabling you to add the technology when required. More importantly new technology yet developed will also become part of your reality when available which delays the obsolescence built into most other units. This makes far more sense especially for those amongst us that are upgrading from very old technology. Invariably we will be somewhat uncertain as to what we really want or need which makes the ability to expand logical. You shouldn't be obligated to purchase technology if you aren't sure that you'll need it just because you can't add it afterwards. Furthermore you should be able to share technology between units in the interests of economics. For example if you had a unit at the helm and another at the bow you should be able to add side scan at a later date and share it on both units, yes?

To answer your first question, yes side scan is a great feature and one which will always be part of my arsenal. But it won't ever replace conventional chirp sonar and a big screen. So ultimately you need to decide what best suits your needs and how you want to "grow" your system

Currently there are a number of very lucrative rebates from Lowrnance http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/specialoffers/

Hope this helps,
chill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chill »

Thanks for the detailed reply Paul. Its much appreciated.

Chris
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I own a 997 SI and a 999 SI
I love them, humminbirds are simple to use and have all kinds of online technical support.

I use them more and more.
My biggest issue is putting in the time to scan instead of fishing the shore line :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/