Transom transducer location

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Transom transducer location

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I have a humminbird 858cdi and when i installed it i noticed that my transducer wasn't reading when i was going spot to spot. Fast forward to yesterday I noticed that my readings were off so checked the transducer in the water and it was completely gone. Is there a specific location on the back of the boat where it goes I had it basically right behind the motor I put it off to the side the first time but it sprayed water everywhere and didn't give any good readings.

Brian
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Transom transducer location

Post by smitty55 »

You don't want it close to the prop. Too much water disturbance. Normally it's off to one side. Theoretically one side is a little better due to prop rotation, but if it's far enough away it won't matter. Make sure it's not lined up with any chine on the bottom of the boat. If it sprayed water then you likely had it at the wrong depth. The bottom of the ducer should be about flush with the bottom of the boat. I always had mine closer to where I sat for easy removal.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

What I did to choose the location was to have a buddy check at the back of the boat when going fast where the water came out the smoothest and that is where I mounted my ducer and installed it with only half of it below the bottom of the boat.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
leanismean
Participant
Participant

Post by leanismean »

I'm guessing you didn't have any installation instructions? If you have a RH prop you would mount on right hand side of motor if you were looking at the motor standing behind it. No less than 15" from prop mounted approximately 1/8" below hull without being on a strake chime or whatever else would cause water turbulence. Also mount level vertically and horizontally. If mounted correctly and still no results while moving your unit may need a high speed transducer. Looking for turbulent free water while on plane is also suggested.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

there was instructions i just put it in turbulent water and off it went. Bought a new one watched a youtube video works perfect now.