Noise in lower unit when in gear

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Noise in lower unit when in gear

Post by FishingFreak13 »

So I went to put my boat back on the trailer this evening and noticed that when i put the motor in forward their was a fairly noticeable clicking or ticking noise coming from the lower unit. I don't think its a lose prop. Has anyone had this issue before.

Brian
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Noise in lower unit when in gear

Post by toobinator »

Brian: I would drain the oil out of the lower unit and look for metal shavings or evidence of water in the oil. Noise from the lower unit is never good.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Check for propshaft end play, and spin it by hand and see if it's true or wobbles, as well,,,,, sound resonates in water, isolate the issue, best you can,does it only do it in fwd.?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

How's Neutral?

I just bought a boat this spring and it make a "tick tick tick" when in forward gear. The gear shift was just out of adjustment (stretched cable?) so it wasn't going fully into forward gear. It would also tend to hang in reverse instead of finding neutral.

Adjusted it up and the ticking went away.

If neutral and reverse are good, then drain oil and look for filings. My old Johnson 70hp (1984) lost part of a gear tooth and it doesn't take long for it to completely foul your lower unit.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

Neutral you can barely hear it but once i put it in gear you couldn't not hear it. Ed I will be doing that tomorrow hopefully it is ok. I tried changing props from SS to aluminum but that made it worse. I will check the gear shift tomorrow as well when i drain the lower unit oil. Thanks for the replys.

Brian
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishToLive »

Did you find the problem and/or solution?
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I checked the lower unit oil and there was no metal in it so thats good. From what I could find online its probably just linkage out of whack. The noise was coming from the somewhere in the bottom of the shaft to the top of the lower unit I haven't had time to take it in to get it looked at though.

Brian