Lowrance Elite 5 chirp Gold

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Two-Feather
Participant
Participant

Lowrance Elite 5 chirp Gold

Post by Two-Feather »

I purchased this unit new about three months ago. Sometimes when Im on the water, underway, my depth reading will start to blink on the screen then go to a reading of 1 or 2 feet. I know this is incorrect as sometimes I can see that the bottom is farther down or sometimes I am in 100 feet of water. When this happens I immediately stop the boat for fear that the unit is correct and I've run up on a shoal. Sometimes this reading fails to go away and I have to limp home using the chart/trail that I created. Sometimes this problem goes away when I start to get underway again and bring the boat up to speed for a while. Sometimes not. Sometimes I just drive around the lake with the depth reading 1.2 -2.3 feet all day. I've tried to unplug the unit, reset the unit but nothing. Usually the problem is gone the next time I take the boat out but I have always had this problem. I have scoured the internet but can not figure out what this problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lowrance Elite 5 chirp Gold

Post by lape0019 »

The first thing I would recommend is to go to the lowrance website and look up the user manual for your unit. My Elite 5 DSI loses the reading past 30mph and my unit is only good up to 200 feet.

I'm not sure how the chirp units works but the manual you can download from lowrance should clear it up. It is way more in depth than what comes in the box.
Two-Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Two-Feather »

lape0019 wrote:I'm not sure how the chirp units works but the manual you can download from lowrance should clear it up. It is way more in depth than what comes in the box.
I had a look at that manual yesterday and it did not provide any insight for my problem, maybe if it had a trouble shooting section but sadly it does not.

Just looking for some ideas before I return it under its warranty.

Cheers
chiro31
Participant
Participant

Post by chiro31 »

I would check the position of the Transducer on the the transom, I assume it is mounted there. I had a similar problem when I upgraded to a Lowrance elite 7 HDI unit. I had it installed by a dealer as the boat was there at the time for some other work. Well the original dealer had it in a bad spot and I had a very similar issue, even at a low speed and calm water it was "blitzing out" on me. I called Lowrance tech support and I was told it is all about location, location, location of the transducer. Took it somewhere else had it moved a bit after trying to fiddle with it myself and it is much better. I do lose it the depth readings that is at approx 27 mph, but it comes back with out "totally blitzing out" having to power the unit off and reset it now. Hope that helps some. Try tech support, just be prepared to wait a bit.
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

Have you tried resetting to the factory settings ? I have the same unit and I have not had this problem.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.