A bit of bad luck

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

A bit of bad luck

Post by banjo »

I just thought I would share a bit of bad luck that I have had recently. Not that I want it to rub off on anyone, but it's just good to be aware that crappy and potentially dangerous things can happen at any time.

I was out using my fishing boat a few weeks back, as I always do. All worked fine, boat ran like a top. The river was getting busy, so I decided to pack it in for the afternoon. Parked the boat at my dock and left it as is for a couple hours.

Before heading off for dinner plans, I decided to put the boat away for the evening which entails... keys out, ensure switches off, cover snapped on, lifted out of the water. After returning home and snuggling into a whiskey and couch, ready to watch Ray Donovan (HBO, check it out :D ), I get interrupted by my neighbor knocking at the door saying, "What's going on at your dock!?!" I yell "Holy 'Drake's new album'...

Some panic...some excitement...some relief no more was hurt...and a whole lot of disappointment.

The boat had sat for nearly 6 and a half hours without a sign that anything was wrong and going on. Luckily the wind was blowing away from the dock and subsequently the cottages, so no further damage was done. I can only image if it was stored in a garage or next to a house. I have to assume something went wrong with the wiring, as I don't suspect foul play. (I don't fish Tournaments, so I shouldn't have any enemies :D :lol: ) I check the wiring in the spring when I put the boat in, but don't really check it during the season if all is working. So, all I can say is to be careful and be watchful, because things like this can happen at any time.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: A bit of bad luck

Post by Oneeleven »

Aw Banjo! This sucks to read - I'm sorry! I hope you can recoup your loss in some way, and glad that it didn't spread to other things. And your humour in your post is refreshing to see. Not many, (including me) would be so humble. 8)
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That sucks man!

Just glad it didn't happen when you were in it!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

banjo that's areal bummer man, and more than a bit of bad luck. I hope you have good insurance.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

That is so incredibly weird. Isn't that an aluminum boat? Or is it actually wood. Never seen something burn like that, so evenly, like it started all at once.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That just sucks! Hope ya get insurance cleared up quick and can go shoppin!

RJ
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Damn! Wow, glad no one got hurt..
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Sorry for your loss.Must have been one hot fire to melt/burn aluminum.:(
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Fishing Rod
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishing Rod »

That really sucks.
But ya,glad you were not in the middle of the lake when it happened.