transducer issues

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
loophole
Participant
Participant

transducer issues

Post by loophole »

I bought a Humminbird sonar in early August at the Canadian Tire in Kingston. A boat dealer in town installed it. It worked fine for 4 weeks. I was inspecting the transducer cable yesterday and noted that it had been damaged. It's frayed about an inch above the transducer. I contacted the dealer and was told that muskrat chew on them. I must admit that it could well be chewing marks that I'm seeing. Anyone else ever experience this? Does anyone have a solution to the problem? My other issue is a rooster tail which appears to be caused by the transducer. I assume the transducer is too low in the water and needs to be raised. Is it possible that being too low in the water is somehow connected to the damaged transducer cable I'm seeing?
RandyLinden
Participant
Participant

Re: transducer issues

Post by RandyLinden »

Muskrats do like to chew on the cables. If you have left the boat at dock this is very common.
You can try to protect the transducer cable by installing some kind of metal protector around it. A length of aluminum conduit cut lengthwise to form a "C" shaped cover is one method that works.
Others may chime in with more suggestions
Randy
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Had the same rooster tail with mine and with the top up it sucked it into the boat. I made a cover for the open area of the mounting bracket and ty-wraped it over the opening. No more rooster tail. Made the U shaped cover out of light guage aluminum. :)
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

The rooster tail is definitely from the transducer being a bit low. It you are lucky you can raise it a bit without relocating it. Try that. 1/4 inch might be all you need
kylerichardson
Participant
Participant

Post by kylerichardson »

loophole wrote:I bought a Humminbird sonar in early August at the Canadian Tire in Kingston. A boat dealer in town installed it. It worked fine for 4 weeks. I was inspecting the transducer cable yesterday and noted that it had been damaged. It's frayed about an inch above the transducer. I contacted the dealer and was told that muskrat chew on them. I must admit that it could well be chewing marks that I'm seeing. Anyone else ever experience this? Does anyone have a solution to the problem? My other issue is a rooster tail which appears to be caused by the transducer. I assume the transducer is too low in the water and needs to be raised. Is it possible that being too low in the water is somehow connected to the damaged transducer cable I'm seeing?
I had this problem and used a product called Muskwraps, great product. Guy's name is Ed Farr (864) 426-0607. https://muskwraps.com

Works with transducer, gas, and steering/electrical wires.