Winterizing

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Winterizing

Post by waynerb66 »

I have a question regarding this cold snap. I have yet to winterize my boat, and I am concerned whether the lower unit will be fine. Is it long term cold that will do damage or any below zero weather? Thanks.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Winterizing

Post by smitty55 »

It's the effect of water freezing and expanding that can crack casings etc, so if the water is well drained from the leg of your motor I don't think you will have any problems. Then again, I've only dealt with smaller outboards so maybe others can chime in on this one.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just take a few extra precautions. At this time of year, I'll lower the motor down as far as I can to ensure all of the water drains out of the bottom of the motor while still at the ramp. I'll leave it like that until I have completed tying everything down and then go back and put the transom saver on.

As for if you actually have water in your lower unit, I supposed any length temperature drop could freeze any water and crack the case but unless you have seen any signs that would make you think you may have an issue, you will probably be fine. I plan on changing mine in the next week or so and putting the boat to rest for the winter.
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I was planning on doing it next week also. I got caught off guard with this cold snap. It has been out of the water for a couple of weeks. Just wasn't sure if I was done for the year. Hopefully she will be fine. Thanks for help.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I agree with the others. It's only an issue if you have water in your lower unit (not normal) or your engine hasn't been allowed to drain after its last use and it freezes with water in the cooling passages.

Unless you have one of those two situations, there is no need to worry.

p.s. The 14 day forecast looks like highs around 10 until the end of the month and lows on the plus side of zero. Still lots of stupid and hungry fish to be caught :)