Motorguide Xi5 or X5

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Matt Loudon
Participant
Participant

Motorguide Xi5 or X5

Post by Matt Loudon »

Looking for some feedback. Currently run a Motorguide Xi5 on my Ranger. I find there are some pros and cons to it. Does anybody run the new Motorguide X5 and have any info or feedback for me. I'm thinking of making the switch.
Thanks.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Motorguide Xi5 or X5

Post by PunchRig »

why would you go backwards ? the x5 is just the newer version of the old digital pro,pedal control,except the new VRS is nice to have,along with lifetime shaft warranty,I have been running the first prototype xi5 36v for 3 years now, love it,just integrating the lowrance touch with gateway, into it this year,since we are going back tourney fishing., call me monday, if you want more info or any questions answered,we're a MG dealer. I think you will like it better with a lowrance hooked to it,are you using the foot pedal or key fob with your xi5, and is it pinpoint enabled ? or standard ?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Is the X5 not the cable driven model where the Xi5 is the electric (wireless pedal) version? I'm thinking Matt just prefers cable driven motors.

I've got the terrova and came from cable drive . It is we're not for all of the added bonuses on the terrova, for shear performance, I would have switched back to a cable steer version a long time ago. As much as I love spot lock, record a track and co pilot, the faster action of a cable steer is hard to beat in bass fishing. As stated though, I just refuse to give up those features now that I'm used to the motor.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

the xi5 turns faster than the terrova,and has 2 gps receivers in the head,as opposed to one in the MK,that's why it's anchor lock and tracking system is alot more accurate.,maybe the new ulterra is closer in design to the xi5,,yes,the x5 is the new version of the pro digital with the vrs steering,which is nice on the foot cable so,you can't oversteer,it corrects the old annoying oversteer thing.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

lape0019 wrote:Is the X5 not the cable driven model where the Xi5 is the electric (wireless pedal) version? I'm thinking Matt just prefers cable driven motors.

I've got the terrova and came from cable drive . It is we're not for all of the added bonuses on the terrova, for shear performance, I would have switched back to a cable steer version a long time ago. As much as I love spot lock, record a track and co pilot, the faster action of a cable steer is hard to beat in bass fishing. As stated though, I just refuse to give up those features now that I'm used to the motor.
there is a wireless pedal on the xi5,but most people use the key fob option,and the lowrance pinpoint gateway(nema 2000),with a lowrance touch unit,makes everything work together like an iphone,just touch and it does what you tell it,from troll a contour line,to hold up on a rockpile,,if fishing in thick weeds,just switch back to the key fob.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

here is a little vid,we did on Miss. Lake,a couple years back,boat is a 21', it is running off the key fob option,Image