Talon or elctronics?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Talon or elctronics?

Post by lape0019 »

Hey guys,

I have been discussing the possibility with a few people about adding either a talon or electronics to my boat this year and want some insight from my fellow anglers.

The options are:
- an 8 foot talon
-899SI (console) and 959DI (bow)
-just the 899si and see how I fare...

I'd love to do all but I doubt I'll be able to afford it. I and just looking to see what you guys find more beneficial.

As added info, I have a terrova with I-pilot which has spot lock (just doesn't work very well in really weedy areas) and a Lowrance elite-5 DSI at the console right now. There is also an older greyscale Humminbird 561 at the bow.

Let me hear your views!

Adam
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Talon or elctronics?

Post by TheMaverick »

I’d personally go 899si, and try to hunt down a used Talon.
If choosing between electronics and Talon, definitely go with electronics, you’ll gain a lot more use out of your unit on the new lakes you’ll be hitting this upcoming season.

Regardless of your decision, you’ll need skills to finish above Team 28 in the rankings! :lol: :lol: :wink:
And because it never gets old, Paddletales got some crazy deals on Birds at the moment.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

IMO, all depends what kind of angler you are. Do you see yourself spending a lot of time in deeper water,10ft+? Or are you a junk fishermen spending most of your time in less then 5fow?

In my eyes electronics are the most important tool in my boat along with the trolling motor. Locating fish and finding structure are key to being successful on the water. I see a shallow water anchor as something that would make my life a little easier in shallow water on windy days or bed fishing smallmouth in June but not as a necessity. Without a decent set of electronics it's like you are fishing blind.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Electronics... I see the benefits of a talon, but it would be one of the last things I would outfit my boat with after all else was perfect. And that is partially because of its price, alot of things can get upgraded for that price...but at the end of the day a talon would be handy. Having said that... I have never used one, so this is only my opinion.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Admittedly, I am a hack at best, yet electronics seems to me the logical choice. And 8' talon will only set you on weed beds, you won't be able to read anyhow do to so many weeds.

Yet, sonar will let you find structure for the big guys on points hiding.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Kinda echoing what others have said. If you are going to "junk" fish all the time then the Talon will be best. If you plan to expand onto other bodies of water and techniques then electronics are a no brainer. Depending on what I'm targeting I live and die with my electronics, mostly the GPS aspect.

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Great info guys. Keep it coming.

As for a little more info. Anyone who has fished with me knows my comfort zone is in the 3-10 foot range but after fishing last season with OVSB and realizing how much I am limiting myself, I know I have to branch out. Most of the tournaments I fished last year had winning bags caught in 15+ feet of water. I managed alright but realized I had a lot of work to do. I think the sonar would definitely be beneficial as well.

I have spot lock too so provided it's not too weedy where I'm at, that holds me pretty good. I just like the thought of hitting a button and not moving.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Spot Lock is the greatest tool for improvement in my fishing/guiding in the past 10 years.

RJ
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Adam ..... Get the electronics.
Buy yourself an old school anchor. There is no cool factor but it works.
Hmmmmmmmmm, Is the use of an anchor permissible in tournaments ?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

And if the guys who have bought the poles or talons were honest they'd tell you there really use it at the boat ramp the most... :lol:

RJ
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Why wouldn't it be? The anchor, I mean. I would think it just got overlooked as people felt it was not cool and wanted to bee line to next hole.

Also Adam, what about a Pin like they use for kayaks. I appreciate your boat is considerably heavier than a damn kayak, yet it is the same principle and could be fashioned for $100-$200 at most? A simple aluminium plate with some aluminium tube welded to it, than an aluminium Rod, that could be threaded together like a pool cue. And a simple cap on top. I believe it would do a bang up job in your 8-12 FOW range. I have been toying with this for the new beach comber!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

They actually have fibreglass rods and mounts that run a couple of hundred dollars. It's just all manual. Thought about that option as well.

And for the record. I have an anchor in the boat. I just haven't used it since I've had the terrova with ipilot.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

They both serve a purpose you just have to look in the mirror and honestly ask your self what kind of fishing will I be doing most of the time. While yes talons do work exceptionally well at launches they do serve a purpose while fishing. For example if you know you have a fish on a certain piece of structure you can drop them down and they will hold you there enabling you to make numerous cast while limiting the amount of commotion. Where as a trolling motor at times blowing water and weeds all over could shut that fish down. If your fishing bed fish (i.e. smallmouth) around rock they make an awful racket when your boats getting pushed around from wind or current, As for your electronics what are you looking to gain? Is it the side imaging you would like? bigger screens? You could move the Lawrence to the front if you think you will mostly be using DI up there anyway and get a SI/DI for the console.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I'm going to say what MA Said, get the 899 si for the console and find a talon, not the one on BFB, :lol:

RJ, they're great around the ramp but they're so much more than that.
-Great to keep the boat still in shallow current, even heavy current with the nose pointed up current.
-You can bring them down and quickly back up once they make contact with the ground, litteraly springing you backwards (When you come up to fast on a fish or a dock while on the trolling motor)
-Keep the boat still while retying, great when someone you bring fishing is new and needs help with things.
-Of course when you're fishing by yourself, back the boat into the water, let the rear end come off the trailer and set the talons down. Pull the trailer from underneath and it sits there waiting for you. :wink:
-Flipping grass in heavy winds, need to retie or change baits? no problem..
-Ever been in a situation where the wind blows hard and you miss calculated and you're about to make contact with some type of structure? They've save my boats behind more than once.

My talons hold me in some nasty current and have caught the biggest fish in my life by staying in that one spot, also scored my cousin's biggest fish too on the same trip same spot. ( 9+ pound Laker for me and a 15+ pound Drum for him on crankbaits near a very steep drop off)

It just gives you time to readjust and make the right cast, of course it has it's faults..
-Never keep your talons down while fighting a fish.. :roll:
-They slow down you boat
-Holeshot sucks until you make adjustments
-The angler fishing from the back wacks the talons (Though this isn't a bad thing, it protects my cowling :lol: )

Hands down Electronics are a must, especially if you fish many bodies of water but a shallow water anchor ROCKS, it's saved my boat more than a few times.. :oops:
And once you get one yourself one, you'll want two..

Just my opinion though.
Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

orrsey wrote: As for your electronics what are you looking to gain? Is it the side imaging you would like? bigger screens? You could move the Lawrence to the front if you think you will mostly be using DI up there anyway and get a SI/DI for the console.
Valid points to you both but Orrsey, What I am looking to gain from the electronics would be screen size, faster processing (especially when running an using maps) and Side imaging (899). Moving the Lowrance to the front is a possibility but I would like to be able to network the units together to share waypoints and transducers. SI will be new to me but it is something I have always wanted to try out.

And Shawn, your uses for a talon are great. I would never have thought of half of the uses you mentioned.