my Ranger back to new...gelcoat and hull treatment

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

my Ranger back to new...gelcoat and hull treatment

Post by C5 »

IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG (121.2 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
My Ranger 620vs had a couple of dock and trailer scrubs and had several chips on the first chine apparently caused by nicking the trailer fender piece when loading. While driving around the backroads this summer I came across 2 - 42 foot Outerlimit Offshore racing boats sitting in front a shop north of Gananoque. I stopped to look at the boats and got talking to one of the staff working on the hull and found our they specialize in gelcoat/fiberglass repairs.

After asking around come to find out that this shop in the middle of nowhere does the warranty work for a couple of the major manufactures and is the go to place for the poker run boats. Fibro Mobile is owned by Marc Beaudin... He and his Daughter Jessica operate the business and they are busy! When I brought the Ranger by, Jessica professionally reviewed the work that would be needed to bring everything back to new. We decided that this would be a good winter project so I hauled the boat down early in February and over the next 2 weeks they performed their magic.

After seeing the chips on the chine, Marc suggested that I consider a hull treatment called Wearlon to both protect the hull and minimize future damage. The treatment is a slick teflon based product designed to reduce drag and protect the hull. I check in with Ranger and they recommended the product but advised me not to be disconnecting the boat from the winch before backing down to the water or the boat might slip off the trailer.. it is that slippery!

Picked the boat up last week and WOW... not only did they bring the gelcoat back up, they sanded and re-clear coated the trailer fenders.. it looks awesome.

Marc was telling me that he has done a ton of insurance work and all sorts of boats and in particular bass boats.. something to keep in mind.. just in case

[img]
Attachments
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG (126.01 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG (111.27 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: my Ranger back to new...gelcoat and hull treatment

Post by Out4trout »

Looks great Ron!!
Nice to have local service like that.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

What were you doing cruising around Marble rock road??
:D

Looks good!
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

delivering a truck to Fosters Orrsey :D took the scenic route!
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Fosters also does good work!
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Out of curiosity, what does something like that cost?? :? :mrgreen:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

I had a bunch of things done, including some clear coat on the trailer etc.. but I estimate that the cost of doing the hull.. tape, sanding and install and the material at about $2K... the material cost would depend on the hull size of course.

Marc told me he is happy to help guys out wanting to do it themselves.. just give them a call or email: gzpaint@gmail.com