Minn Kota Talon

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Minn Kota Talon

Post by Jul0682 »

Good evening fellow fishing buddies.

I'm getting a minn kota talon for my boat and I was wondering if any of you have installed this on a non bass boat with the talon bolted straight to the boat.. was wondering if I should get the bracket that attaches between the motor and the boat or just install it straight to the boat itself. I'm assuming with the sandwich bracket it spaces it out from the boat, just not sure what direction to go..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. .

Thanks alot everybody :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Minn Kota Talon

Post by toobinator »

I've seen a number bolted right onto the transom. By far the cheapest way to go. The brackets run $300.00+

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

I would be hesitant to drill more holes in the transom. Perhaps a marine mechanic can chime in....

I would look at the sandwich style bracket that Minn Kota sells. It bolts between the transom and motor itself. Yes, they are $300+ , plus install fees.
But, it means no additional holes in the transom.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I've got a Bass Tracker mod v and am planning to mount direct to the transom. I've found a couple of people on other sites who have done it without issues. There are also a few videos on YouTube.

Secondly, Minnkota recommends direct mounting the Talon if you can. At least, that's what it states in the manual. Secondly, I'm not sure which motor you have or even if it has warranty but Mercury for one will void the warranty on a merc if the sandwich plate is used. I find this silly since they don't care about jackplates but this was confirmed by a marina the other day as well as quite common on a few forums. It seems they were fine with the sandwich style bracket at first and then the more items were added, they didn't like it (360 transducer and other add ons)

These are images are from someone that has the same boat and direct mounted to get an idea. I'll basically be doing the same thing.

It should also be noted that many of the original pics of the new Lund Pro V bass had a Talon direct mounted to the transom.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

On your Lund, I'd bolt directly. You have a big splashwell that you can easily drill through well above the water line and you can easily add a backing plate on the inside of the splashwell for additional strength. The only thing you really need to worry about is making sure you install far enough away from the engine when the wheel is cranked.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Thanks alot guys for all the great replies. Yeah the sandwich bracket like mentioned is over 300$ and with install is alot more then I thought of. I have a mercury as well and that's good to know that they would void warranty but not sure why. I have read the instructions and like mentioned u have to be a certain amount of inches away for clearance. . Imagen you'd have to put some kind of silicone when installing every to prevent water getting in the drilled holes.. Think I will go without the sandwich bracket and install it direct on the boat...
Looking forward of seeing more pictures and input guys

Thanks alot everybody
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
kickurbass
Participant
Participant

Post by kickurbass »

me i have a legend xcalibur same category as a lund and i install my power pole directly to the transome
for few reason first its cheaper, and the material is thicker if you put a 1/2 inch bolt with good washer behind it will be super strong and also less movable part ( bolts and nuts) that can loose up or break!

thats my point of view

good luck!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 7904 times
Bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

That's a really nice boat btw and good point.. what size is that power pole. Looks pretty high.

Thanks again
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

ive read where people use 3M 3200 or Marine silicone.

I plan on using marine silicone I beleive. It will seal the holes but won't be as hard to get off should I have to remove.
kickurbass
Participant
Participant

Post by kickurbass »

my pole is 8feet and i installed it right at the floating point, if i had installed it lower it could of make a rooster tail when
im driving!!!

thanks for the comment!
Bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Thanks alot, I'll definitely look into that marine silicone. Really nice setup and love how everything you got matches the boat really well and that for the info as well..
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Another quick question guys, I just got my tilting bracket for my talon and the way they wanted me to install the bracket when it tilting it will hit my transom. They want me to install the bracket with the push bat towards the boat. So my question is can I turn the bracket around so the push bar face away from the boat so when tilting it won't hit the boat? Not sure if this is the proper way or else I'll have to get that sandwich bracket installed on my boat..

Thanks
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Right or wrong, I cannot say.

There is a guy in Bassboat Central (if I remember correctly) that did exactly what you are looking at. He mounted the tilt bracket back awards so it would work while direct mounting it to the boat. Another guy used a piece of cutting boat between the transom and the bracket to allow enough room to have the bracket mounted properly and still tilt properly.

There is also a 6" spacer you can but should that be something you would prefer. It is MFR #1810220 should you want to take a look at pricing.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. . Not sure what direction to go and I'm already not looking g forward of drilling into my boat.. might bring it to a dealer to get them to install the tilt bracket and then I can do the rest.
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Lol. Not a bad idea at all. I'm having the same reservations but will attempt it myself.