Minn Kota Talon

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Minn Kota Talon

Post by Jul0682 »

Your installing a talon as well? Keep me posted on how it's going.. how will you be installing it?
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Yeah, I'm the one that posted the pics of the PT190.

My plan is to direct mount as far to the side of the splash well as possible. I don't plan on using anything other than the mount that comes with the Talon and if it sticks up too high, I may consider getting the quick release nuts. I've considered the tilt bracket but I'm trying to keep the costs down and direct mounting is the best way to do that.

I'm trying to work in some new electronics so the smaller the investment in the Talon, the better my chances of getting the units.

good luck and is love to see your progress when you get there.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I also just realized you had an impact. I know a guy who has an 1875 impact and mounted one this year on it. I'll try to get him to chime in.

Edit, Just checked with him and it is direct mounted onto the impact. He is in Tulsa right now (Lucky man!) and will try to chime in when he returns.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

IMO, I would always go for the bracket, I don't like the idea of drilling holes in a boat..
But like Adam said, they're tons of people that install them directly to the transom.

Now I see you are thinking of adding the tilting mechanism, if that doesn't work out for you Minnkota sells a set of quick release handles to quickly remove or lower your talons.

Do you have pictures of your boat and where you are thinking of installing the talon?
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Thanks alot for the reply guys and I hope to hear from that guy you mentioned and see and talk to him a little bit ore about it.. yah lucky guy for sure :) I'll be installing g it on the passenger side of my oat since I got the boarding ladder on the drivers side. I do not have pictures of the rear end of my though. . I already got the tilt bracket so I'll be putting it on for sure, might get something to put between the bracket and the boat as I seen a couple of guys install like a plastic piece or something like that between the transom and the bracket. Probably something like the dealers install when they put the transducers on the voar, like a piece of wood or white plastic.

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pepe »

Morning, fella's - just a quick addition to the talon/mercury comments. I just purchased a new boat that does not have a jackplate, and I am installing a 12' Talon on the boat. For peace of mind, I inquired directly with Mercury both by email and phone for clarification. Below is the response in writing that I received. As well, the agent that I spoke with said that "..... unless a warranty issue is from the direct cause of mounting a minn kota sandwich bracket, then your warranty is valid in full ...".

Mr. Parisien,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Mercury motor, serial #2B077596. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns. Mercury does not recommend the use of the sandwich bracket. However, as long as no issues are caused by the sandwich bracket your warranty is still in effect and not voided.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,
Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance
Ref.# 2016-00026127

I believe it will only be a matter of time that Mercury will issue a service bulletin on this matter, much like they did for the power pole mounts and brackets. All part of product development in the industry.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

That's good to know, thanks. I'll probably be installing it directly to my transom and save that money.

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Well here she is all setup and ready to hit the water, as soon as this new snow melts and ice leaves..
Thanks for the help everybody.. cheers. .
Keep the pictures coming of your boat all rigged up. Always nice to see. :)
Attachments
IMG_20160321_160048.jpg
IMG_20160321_160048.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 4710 times
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Looks good!
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Thanks man :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
kickurbass
Participant
Participant

Post by kickurbass »

i love the look of your talon buddy!!
Bad day fishing is better then a good day at work!!
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

kickurbass wrote:i love the look of your talon buddy!!
Thanks bud :), had to get one that matches the boat the best it can.. :) can't wait till try it though. :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice talon, you'll want to bring it up so keep a wrench handy when you put the boat in the water, mine are as high as they go, now I know we don't have the same boat..
But you don't want it dragging too much in the water while getting on plane.

Test and adjust.

Good luck
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

ShawnD wrote:Nice talon, you'll want to bring it up so keep a wrench handy when you put the boat in the water, mine are as high as they go, now I know we don't have the same boat..
But you don't want it dragging too much in the water while getting on plane.

Test and adjust.

Good luck

Yeah I was told to bring it up and I'll read the instructions as well, what boat do you have?.

Last thing I want is to drag it like u said, don't want to damage i
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

Like Shawn mentioned, even on a deep V boat you'll be shocked with how high you may have to set it! I have the jackplate mount and it took some adjustments but now you don't even know it's there and they work great you will definitely find it very handy