new finder

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
xRED
Participant
Participant

new finder

Post by xRED »

I've been checking out new fish finders and thinking about getting
a side image Finder.
Im stuck between helix and HDS
Ive always been a Lowrance guy currently have 2 on the boat.
Its hard to ignore the humminbirds for price and features.
I have a minnkota trolling motor so maybe the ipilot link might be nice as well.

But from what I have been reading the Lowrance structure scan seems to be
more detailed and you can scan faster.

I would be looking at the Helix9 si and HDS7 gen3
but the extra 2 inchs and all features for cheaper then HDS7 sure makes the Bird interastin.

I have also read alot of complaints about Hummingbird quality but then a gain there
are no shortage of lowrance complaints either.

Any one have a lowrance with structure scan?
How fast can you scan and still get a decent detail?

Any one with a humminbird SI how fast can you scan to get decent detail?

Amost wish I didnt start looking either way this is going to be costly.
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: new finder

Post by toobinator »

Xred: I used to sell both brands, but now only sell Humminbirds. Both are good products, but the lack of customer and dealer support steered me away from Lowrance.

I sell a ton of birds and use the product myself. The percentage of people that are having problems with their Humminbirds is very close to zero, and when there is a problem, there is support behind the product to look after you. The SI will read bottom up to about 7 mph. If you are going to use this unit for depth when you are on plane, you need to add a second transducer and a splitter cable, as the SI transducer is not high speed. You must do the same with a Lowrance.

I have SI units in the store in Helix 5, 7, 9, and 10 as well as a Huminbird 999.

Ed
Paddletales
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

I recently bought my Helix 9 from Ed at Paddletales. Can hardly wait to put it to use. The Autochart is going to be a huge asset.

Ed's right when it comes to Customer Service; I contacted them about exchanging transducers for the Helix 9 to a TM transducer; not only were they happy to do so, but it showed up on my door step 2 days later.

Very pleased with my Birds.

Alby
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

I bought an Ice Helix 5 this year and love it.

Can`t wait to try it out on the softwater this year.

I had an X67C for a long time. Great unit but I wanted an upgrade.
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

Awsome didnt realize you needed a separate transducer for 2d sonar
can you use a external gps puck on the nmea2000 network?
Ed,
Do you sell the ipilot link too?
Also in the market for new musky reel
this is getting costly..lol
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Xred: The si transducer will read 2d, just not at speed. This is true of side imaging or structure scan. You can use an external puck, as long as it's compatible with Humminbird. I sell the Ipilot link, but don't stock it. Only takes a day or two to get in. I do stock the Ipilot though. Stock musky reels too.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

not sure why you would need a hds7 gen 3,when great deals are around on gen2's. unless you are into 3d SS.,I run birds for years and have an 1198 and a 997 on my console still,with no interest in updating, 'SI on the jackplate and 2d in the bilge with a splitter,like Ed explained,I run an hds 9Touch on the bow,only because it networks into my motorguide motor. In all honesty, bird side imaging is way nicer than lowrance,but lowrance has better down and 2d,,just my opinion,but I use both on my boat. As a beginner,go with Ed's suggestion,Bird is alot easier to setup,as well as cheaper to link up, than lowrance,if you decide to buy another unit later on. bird service is very good. I would recommend the 999HD SI that Ed has left in stock,very good solid machine.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

toobinator wrote:Xred: The si transducer will read 2d, just not at speed. This is true of side imaging or structure scan. You can use an external puck, as long as it's compatible with Humminbird. I sell the Ipilot link, but don't stock it. Only takes a day or two to get in. I do stock the Ipilot though. Stock musky reels too.

Ed
Yes HB and lowrance both have pucks with heading sensors (compass built in),but they are very expensive add ons,because you need a nmea 2k system as well.you can use a 50 channel plug n play as-grp50,on a bird that is just plug n play. alot of guys put the puck near the transducer,for a more accurate reading,but 999 and up machines do have a good internal gps system.