Linking units together

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Linking units together

Post by Jul0682 »

Good day everybody,

I just acquired a Helix 10 SI unit and I have a 899CXI HD SI COMBO unit already on the boat. I want to link them together but not sure if I can or if I have to get another helix unit.. I know I could also get a non si or di unit and have my helix send all the info to my other unit but since I got the 899 might as well us it unless I sell it and buy a helix..

If I can link them together how do I go forward to link them together.. I have my helix transducer in the rear right now but at one point I'd like to put a transducer at the bow where I fish most of the time..

Any help is greatly appreciated like always..

Thanks everybody :)
Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Linking units together

Post by lape0019 »

I looked into this quite a bit as I am thinking of buying a new fishfinder. I wanted to make sure that the helix would link with whatever I bought so I asked Ed at Paddletales.

Yes they will link and be able to share waypoint. You will need an Ethernet cable and the dongles to attach it to the machines. If I remember correctly, because your core unit ends in a 9 (859/899), you can also share transducers. If you end up mounting a transducer up front on your TM, you just have to make sure that you select the proper transducer when setting it up.

I am nowhere near an expert in this and if I missed anything, I am sure there will be someone coming along that has the answer.

Adam.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Yes you need a dongle for each unit (AS EC QDE) as well as the Ethernet cable. The other thing you need to look at is the operating system for each unit. Both have to be operating on close to the same system. ie version 6.5 or something similar. This can be found on the system staus page of each unit. It is very easy to update one if they don't match. Most people link the 2 together and if they won't talk to each other than do the update as required.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Well that's good news and thanks guys. Do you sell these cables Ed? I'll look into this for sure and I'm not sure I'll be able to mount a transducer on my TM as I have the ulterra. Might have to do some custom work when it comes to putting a transducer in front..

Thanks again guys
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

The ulterra most likely has a universal sonar. For that you will need an adapter cable. I have that and the other parts and cables in stock at Paddletales.

Ed
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

That's awesome to know, I'll swing by for sure and to some shopping as well.. lol and yes the ulterra has the transducer but not the side and down imaging on...

Thanks alot Ed..
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

If you use the Ulterra transducer, you can link with the side imaging transducer on the back through the Ethernet cable. Otherwise, you can mount the si transducer on the ulterra with a mount (I have those too). On my boat I am accessing the si through the transom transducer. You get a much more stable picture.

Ed
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Awesome, I'll swing by the store and we can go through my options. . I know I can mount the transducer on the ulterra but have trouble figuring how and where to run the cables for it ..
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Jul0682 wrote:Awesome, I'll swing by the store and we can go through my options. . I know I can mount the transducer on the ulterra but have trouble figuring how and where to run the cables for it ..
not sure on the ulterra,but most electric steer MK's have a groove in the shaft to run the cable,some simple disassembly is required tho',
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

PunchRig wrote:
Jul0682 wrote:Awesome, I'll swing by the store and we can go through my options. . I know I can mount the transducer on the ulterra but have trouble figuring how and where to run the cables for it ..
not sure on the ulterra,but most electric steer MK's have a groove in the shaft to run the cable,some simple disassembly is required tho',
Yes the ulterra has the groove in the shaft but since it's a self deploy model it uses the groove to bring it up and down...
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

YouTube it. There are a couple of guys who have figured it out. There are also a few companies that have made a bracket for the transducers that may work.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

I've looked alot on YouTube and Internet and haven't found anything for mounting the transducer on the ulterra but found separate brackets that u can mount the transducers.. if u find something if u don't mind to link it, that would be awesome ..

Thanks
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

It's a little unorthadox but...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4zwSE3XSw
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Lol true but still pretty smart though.. giving me ideas for sure.

Thanks
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

www.fishingspecialties.com ,has a reasonable transducer solution, I have the same problem with a MG xi5,there are several ingenious mounting ideas out there,but using SI on the actual motor foot, gives you a continuous washout view in SI, I built my own independent transducer bracket, out of an old stern mount trolling motors bracket,this way i can have my lss-1 and 2d puck mounted in a more stationary way,thus reducing washout,as the boat turns slower than the motor head.I run the Lowrance lss1 thru the ss box,and the 2d into the back of the touch hds 2, and into the motorguide gateway. so everything is where i need it on the bow,then I have my 1198 and 997 HB's on the console,SI transducer on the jackplate and 2d in the bilge,for when I'm just putting around on the lake searching.