GPS Power cable cut

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

GPS Power cable cut

Post by FishingFreak13 »

So when i was checking on the old boat today I notice that i Must have accidentally gotten my GPS puck wire cut somehow not a full blown cut but just exposed wires. Seeing as the Cable is insanely long for my boat if i can't get it working is it possible to just cut the cable and reattach the wires to the gps puck.

Brian
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: GPS Power cable cut

Post by scarkner »

The complexity to fix the wiring depends a bit on the age of the GPS and puck. Some of them have a coaxial cable combined with a few single signal wires (say "single signal" three times fast...).

If it has one of the micro-coax, they can be tough to repair without significant signal loss. It would have to be 15 years old to have a co-axial cable.

If it is just a bunch of separate small-gauge wires then it shouldn't be too hard, especially if you have some give in the cable (so you aren't trying to work in some god-forsaken yoga position). I would suggest using heat-shrink tubing and soldered connections.

If you are in Ottawa I would be happy to help, it's a 5 minute job for me.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I am in ottawa. I didn't really take a look at it i just noticed that I could see the wire I'll have a better look this weekend if it ever stops raining and post again to see how bad it actually is. Its a GPS puck that came with a humminbird 858cDI If that helps.

Brian
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Yeah that helps a lot!

The GPS uses 6 straight simple wires. They are color coded so should be a breeze to line them up and reconnect them.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Use glue lined heat shrink to water proof it. If you have a Fastenal store in your area they have real good prices on it.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Roblin wrote:Use glue lined heat shrink to water proof it. If you have a Fastenal store in your area they have real good prices on it.
An excellent suggestion - They carry a zillion different sizes at Active Electronics off Clyde/Merrivale (beside Food Basics).
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Or else you could use environmental solder splices. They have a sealer on each end that actually melts after the solder and heat shrink to seal out weather. Used them lots on ATR engine harnesses. They work best using a good heat gun with a U-shaped deflector on the nozzle.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter