Lowering My Boat - Successsssss?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Lowering My Boat - Successsssss?

Post by scarkner »

The only thing that I don't like about the "new" old boat I bought last year is the way it rides crazy high on the trailer. I am not sure what the guys at TRACKER boats were thinking when they paired this boat and trailer together. They welded on these crib-extensions that held the boat up high enough that it makes launching a pain. In fact, I can't even launch the boat at Shirley's Bay at all!

I could lower the whole trailer with:
1) Smaller wheels/tires (could get 1.5 inches)
2) Raising the axle an inch (could get 1.0 inches)
3) Correcting the poor design of the Cribs (Could get 3.25 inches)

Seeing that I could gain a lot by changing the cribs, that is my first plan of attack, I will be testing the boat this weekend. If I can launch at Shirley's then I am done. If I still can't launch then I will try the more extreme axle/wheel modifications.

Here are some photos for those that are interested or may want to try the same mod. Took about 4 hours.

The boat sits about 3.5 inches above the roller. I figured I would take 3.25 inches off the cribs (since I didn't want to risk making the boat sit sloppy on the trailer).

I notched out the crib holder brackets first. I mirrored the notch at the other end so it effectively sits right on the trailer frame now and can't move forward or backwards. This allowed the bolts to be significantly downsized (since they are no longer holding the weight of the boat).

I then used a spacer board to make sure I got the right depth on the bracket that is welded to the frame. I used a saws-all to cut the brackets. I needed to leave enough "meat" to pass a bolt through later.

Finally I re-mounted the crib itself and bolted the two brackets back together. You can see the nice tight fit as the brackets nest together.

End result - Boat sits REALLY NICE on the trailer now (and it's easier to climb in and out of! A benefit I wasn't expecting).

I then re-adjusted the boat guides and am looking forward to a test launch!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lowering My Boat - Successsssss?

Post by smitty55 »

Right on Steve. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I see the engineer in you... :lol:

Not too many boats can actually launch at Shirleys after spring without backing their vehicle way out in the river. Launch at the Sailing Club at Nepean Point and drive over.....

RJ
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have launched at the sailing club, but find it kinda stressful in the summer launching there, and the lineups on the weekend can be killer. Hence my sincere hope that I can launch at Shirleys.

I tried last year and can get my truck out pretty far. The boat felt like it was "almost" floating, and that was mid-summer. So fingers crossed that 3" lower (equivalent to almost 20%) is enough.
Two-Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Two-Feather »

Nice Job.

I've wondered about doing this sort of adjustment also, my bunks are easily 4"-5" off the trailer frame. Good news is that they are not welded but utilize an adjustable steel bracket.
Did you just jack up the bunks to raise the boat?

Cheers
Jeff
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Yes, I used two car jacks, so the front of the boat was still attached to the winch and resting on the roller up there (I losened the cable though) and then I jacked up the back of the boat right on the cribs. I then put a few extra wood blocks between the boat and the frame (for safety).

I sure wish mine would have been adjustable, although they still likely wouldn't have gone low enough.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice work
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Nice work man.. Cheers :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Two-Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Two-Feather »

I sure wish mine would have been adjustable,
These are my adjustable brackets,

I can probably drop 1.5" - 2" inches with out worrying too much

We are heading up to Mozhabong Lake in a few weeks for lakers and I've been told that where we launch is very shallow. I don't have 4x4 so the less I'm in the water the better.

JD
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Great modification!
Thanks for taking time to share it.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Just realized that i never updated this...

Not only did the boat launch at Shirley bay but i almost lost it! Backed up the truck, hit the brakes, then watched as the boat kept going!!! It was floating free, but did have a long rope attached so it was ok.

What an amazing difference a few extra inches makes (please... No gutter comments on that last sentence...)
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

The problem I had a while back on mine was that my boat was sitting too low and I couldn't trim the motor all the way down without the skeg hitting the ground, so I couldn't drain all the water out of it when I used it in late Fall. My axle was mounted on the outside of my leaf springs I just took it out and installed it on the inside of the springs. Just that small change made a whole lot of difference.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again