Humminbird Lakemaster auto chart??

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Humminbird Lakemaster auto chart??

Post by qcconnection »

Anyone have any experience with this?
Pros, cons?

Saw a couple of videos on youtube. Might be worth a try.
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Humminbird Lakemaster auto chart??

Post by jjcanoe »

I've been wondering about this also, hopefully it's not a subscription based service like Lowrance has.... that really makes me mad!
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

This really shines with the new Helix 9 and up as they have the program built in to record 8 hrs of your water and then you would use the auto chart program to set up your mapping recordings to download onto you Zero Lines Card to run the mapping, Lakemaster has no real mapping for our canadian water but with this program and a zero line card we can map any water and even share our data with fello fisherman. I am on save mode right now for a new Helix 9 SI just for this reason
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

I have a Helix 5, and primarily fish smaller bodies of water. I was thinking about it for that reason!! Might be a fun tool to have!
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

While AutoChart LIVE is awesome for the units that have it built-in, you can also create maps using AutoChart Pro which is a software program that turns sonar recordings into maps. AutoChart Pro comes with a Zero Lines card.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
afaust
Participant
Participant

Post by afaust »

Hi,

Autochart is a great tool for creating depth charts. In Canada, there are no "lakemaster" chips (except maybe the great lakes). The only other option for depth charts is Navionics. With Navionics, you get a one year subscription where you can get your map updates, and you can upload your own data to be added to Navionics. After one year, you have to subscribe to get the updates... which means if you are uploading your data to the system, you are paying to have your data back, plus, if it is someplace that Navionics does not have, you are potentially giving away fishing spots....

On the other hand, Autochart is available in 3 verisions, Autochart, Autochart Pro and Autochart Live. Autochart live, available on Helix 9 and above automatically charts your depth everywhere you go. Its instantaneous. You get your depth charts live as you drive your boat around. Drive in a grid pattern and you get the whole area charted for you.
For other Helix's below 9 (5 and 7), you can buy Autochart, or Autochart pro. You take your sonar recordings that you take while boating, bring them to your computer, put them into the software, and it takes the sonar recordings and plots a depth chart based on those recordings. Same as the live version, but you'll only be able to see the chart on your next run out, rather than live on the water. The difference between the regular and the pro version is that the pro version will allow you to creat 3D images of the bottom, and it will also show you bottom hardness and hardness transitions, which is a useful tool for fishing (ie walleye love hard bottoms, etc).

The big advantage is you can keep the data for yourself, or share it with friends.... don't have to give the info to everyone....

I bought a Helix 5, but in hindsight, when looking for a unit (5,7,9 or above), I would consider that for adding the price of Autochart ($200-250), added on to the price of the unit itself, may actually warrant the upgrade to the 9, both for the Autochart live, and for the connectivity factor (which I believe is in the 9), which allows you to network units together, or add in ipilot with trolling motors.... just food for thought IMHO.

Hope that helps

Allan
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

Great info Allen, does the Autochart live save to a card or directly into your Helix 9 or is it transferable between the card and Helix 9? Is the saved info on the Helix 9 limited to the 8 hours recording time or is that limit only on the lower models?
Thanks, John
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.