Bow Mounted Fish Finder

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
BassBomb
Participant
Participant

Bow Mounted Fish Finder

Post by BassBomb »

Just wondering if anyone is running a second fish finder on their bow. I have a Minn Kota powerdrive V2 up front and I know it has a universal transducer compatible with quite a few units that are out there. Just thinking about adding a straight non-GPS unit, would a side imaging unit be better? Any opinions or tips are welcome!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bow Mounted Fish Finder

Post by toobinator »

Bass Bomb: The side imaging is not compatable with the universal sonar. The 2d sonar will work but not the side or down imaging.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Bass bomb,

Ed is a knowledgable retailer, he carries Humminbird, and knows his product.

I say this, as I see you have just recently joined and may not know some of the frequent contributors.

It requires different transducer technology for DI and SI imagery. So just go with a Helix Or Lowrance regular Unit. Although i might recommend a GPS unit as it will allow you to mark a location easier if it is not networke with your console unit.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have an older 561 attached to my US2. It's a grey scale unit with no bells or whistles.

My us2 is on a terrova and while I am actually running the TM, I will get a little interference. Other than that, of all you are trying to do is see what is right under the boat, it'll work for you.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Pretty much anything unit will work with your trolling motor and like the previous guys said, if u wanna just have standard sonar just get any gps/ sonar unit and your golden. If your around Winchester or feel like taking a drive, strongly recommend going and seeing Ed at Paddletales for all info u need.. He's awesome and knows he's stuff very well..

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
BassBomb
Participant
Participant

Post by BassBomb »

All good info, thanks for the up to date details. It'll save me time for sure when looking to add another unit to my boat. I currently have a Hbird 788ci HD Combo GPS mounted on the console, so adding a more recent model is something I would like to do up front.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just a suggestion but the 788ci would be a great unit to use the us2 sonar with. It would allow you to mark waypoints and have the benefit of charts.

That would open up a lot of options for the console unit.
BassBomb
Participant
Participant

Post by BassBomb »

lape0019 wrote:Just a suggestion but the 788ci would be a great unit to use the us2 sonar with.
So move the 788 to the bow and then purchase another unit for the console? As of right now the 788 is on a RAM mount, so it gives me ability to turn it facing the front. I find it a little difficult to read due to trying to fish, navigate with trolling motor. Perhaps I'm looking to rely too much on electronics. I just thought a Side Imaging unit would help with structure, shorelines and such.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

It depends on how you plan on using it.

I would place the side imaging at the helm and use it to find structure and mark it. If you plan on putting side imagine up front, you will have to mount a side imaging transducer to either your trolling motor or the transom of your boat. The Trolling motor mount would allow you to see whats beside you but you will always have to keep track on where the TM is pointed in order to get a good idea as to where you are looking. the Transom would work but depending on the length of your boat, could be quite a few feet off of where you are standing (16-20 feet?).

I totally get where you are coming from. If you are alright with these two scenarios then it is possible you will get what you want out of putting the SI up front.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

That's all great ideas guys, wonder if the unit you got is ethernet compatible so u can network your bow and consoles u it together.. might be something u can look at also.. I have two units with side and down imaging and I didn't have to but always nice to have too u it's for sure.. once u get them you'll never go to just one.. lol
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp