Trolling motors

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Leerjmc
Participant
Participant

Trolling motors

Post by Leerjmc »

So im looking to upgrade my trolling motor..i went from a 2001 minn kota power drive to a 2004 maxxum ...i love the maxxum.tough strong and easy to deploy.i didn't like how the power drive deployed...but now i really want one with i pilot...so im considering another power drive or a terrova...

So my question.
What does everyone use?and what do u like or dislike and why?

Thanks in advance hawkers!
BassBomb
Participant
Participant

Re: Trolling motors

Post by BassBomb »

I've got a Powerdrive V2, and the deployment isn't as 'convenient' as a cable released unit or auto-deploy of some of the higher end Minn Kota motors. I added the iPilot to mine last year and I love it. Even with the remote, you can still make adjustments while fishing and the extra room from not having the pedal on the deck is a good plus.

The GPS in the head unit is better than I expected it to be, both the 'Spot Lock' feature and the ability to record your and retrace your track is also a great feature. Although I thought about selling mine to put towards one of the more 'advanced' models from Minn Kota, but I would rather spend the savings on gear and more lures!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

If you're looking at getting the I-Pilot as well, you still have use of the foot pedal as well as the remote with the Terrova. With the Power Drive it is remote only. Also the foot pedal in the Terrova is much more user friendly as well as sturdier. In my humble opinion the Terrova motor itself is a much better motor overall. One other fact about the 2 motors I just discovered, the GPS function stays on when the motor is stowed in the Power Drive, draining the battery if not disconnected. When the Terrova is stowed the GPS shuts off.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I've used a Powerdrive and Powerdrive v2. I own a terrova with ipilot and will say the deployment mechanism is 100 times easier to deploy on the terrova. The foot pedal as add stated is leaps and bounds better than the Powerdrive version.

The only complaint I have is the turning time. The cable driven ones just seem better for bass fishing. For me though, I've gotten used to the turning time and the other features keep the trolling motor on my boat.

As a side note, I bought a ram mount TM stabilizer for mine because the head was always bouncing in waves.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Very interesting topic!!! :shock: :shock:

After countless hours of research and price comparing I FINALLY (at least I thought so! :oops: :roll: ) decided I was
going to go with the 12V PowerDrive V2 55# thrust, 54" shaft, with iPilot (I HATE those stupid foot pedals!! :evil: :evil: ).
My only decision remaining was whether to spring the extra $100 TO $200 (depending where you get it :? :twisted: ) for
the Universal transducer mounted within the unit. :? :shock:

Now others come on here and sing the praises (easier deployment, improved 'user friendly' foot pedal, etc., etc. :shock: )
of the Terrova, and I'm confused and completely undecided yet again!! :( :( :? :? :x :x
Is it worth the extra cash drop to shell out for the Terrova?? (ya, ya, I know I should just bite the bullet and buy the Ulterra,
but keep in mind this is Canada, it's a tad chilly to live in the boat over Winter!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

Either unit will give you good service. Once you go wireless, you'll never use your foot pedal again. If your seriously thinking Terrova, keep an eye out for guys dumping their Terrova's for the Ulterra. My last tournament boat was rigged with a Terrova and I put easily 6-700 hrs on the unit without one glitch.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Motorguide xi5 36v 105 lb., pulls in open water,current & wind like a champ.,rips slop up like a chainsaw,,anchor lock is awesome,the remote could use backlighting for night fishing,but it's hooked to the lowrance touch,so you can just run it like a touch phone app.,from the console or bow,with full backlighting.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I would run your 2 d sonar from a mounted lowrance or HB unit,I hear of alot of issues with internally mounted transducers,,both MG and MK,I use an LSS-1 structure scan transducer on the bow,but have it mounted separately from the motor,for 2 reasons,1,doesn't tangle,and 2, don't have to worry about electrical interference.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

I have the ulterra and love the unit.. would of went with the terror a but with my bad back, lifting up the motor everytime I use it, decided to go with the ulterra.. great unit..

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

The Terrova is the best selling electric steer motor in North America. Its got a sturdier mount, easier to use foot pedal, easier deployment and stow mechanism. And you can use both the remote and pedal at the same time if needed unlike the Powerdrive series. If you go Motorguide youve made the decision to fish technology way behind the best!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Cyber wrote:Very interesting topic!!! :shock: :shock:

After countless hours of research and price comparing I FINALLY (at least I thought so! :oops: :roll: ) decided I was
going to go with the 12V PowerDrive V2 55# thrust, 54" shaft, with iPilot (I HATE those stupid foot pedals!! :evil: :evil: ).
My only decision remaining was whether to spring the extra $100 TO $200 (depending where you get it :? :twisted: ) for
the Universal transducer mounted within the unit. :? :shock:

Now others come on here and sing the praises (easier deployment, improved 'user friendly' foot pedal, etc., etc. :shock: )
of the Terrova, and I'm confused and completely undecided yet again!! :( :( :? :? :x :x
Is it worth the extra cash drop to shell out for the Terrova?? (ya, ya, I know I should just bite the bullet and buy the Ulterra,
but keep in mind this is Canada, it's a tad chilly to live in the boat over Winter!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Cyber,
Having used both, yes. Plain and simple. The Terrova is just a superior product between the two models currently out. You don't have to keep the foot pedal connected but it's always nice to have. I used both more often than not and I'm pretty damn happy with it. The deploy mechanism is where you will notice the biggest improvements.

As for the US2, I use it but it's always given me some sort of problem. There's a lot of interference once in a while. I think if I did it again, I probably would not have gotten the US2 and just run the TM cables down the flat spot. Apparently the flat spot is big enough for Humminbird but doesn't exactly fit a lowrance cable. Just food for thought. Plus, the US2 is only good for 2d so if you have a unit with down imaging capabilities, you'll have to run a transducer down there anyway.

As for the xi5. It does seem to get good reviews. It's supposed to turn faster and be a bit more accurate with two GPS pucks in the head. Not enough to sway me (I had a MG and had too many issues with it).
Last edited by lape0019 on Sun May 01, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Had a Terrova on the old boat, and it's the only thing I miss. It's much faster then the PDV2, if your doing any type of shallow water fishing you'll appreciate it.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

WOW :shock: :shock:

Certainly a lot of feedback here! All great stuff I might add! :D :D
I hope the OP is getting as much outta this as I am! Hope you aren't P.O.'d
that I sorta hijacked your thread. :oops: :oops:

Looks like I've gotta digest some more info, but I think it's safe to say
I will skip the US2 option, and will probably spring the extra $400 to $500
and get the Terrova, sounds far superior to the PD V2. :wink: And since
I'm not dropping 3 grand++ on an Ulterra, I may get to come inside at
night from Novenber to March!!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I've had both the Terrova and Ulterra. Both worked flawless. Spotlock is the greatest thing to come into fishing technology in the past 10 years!

RJ
Leerjmc
Participant
Participant

Post by Leerjmc »

Good thread boys.lots of info.
i really appreciate it.sounds like a terrova may be in my future.