Engine mounted trolling motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Engine mounted trolling motor

Post by OntarioRider »

Does anyone have any experience with these?
I am looking at installing the MK 80 / EM on my 1700 Fisherman. I have a 150 VMAX on it, so I am hoping it will mount properly.
I already have a bow mount trolling motor but am thinking of the times I am trolling for lakers or walleye.
Thanks
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Re: Engine mounted trolling motor

Post by laker taker »

I put one on my 140 and just love it. Mine is 24 volt 80 lb and can troll my 18 ft Crestliner all day.
If you need any more info let me know.
Laker
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Was thinking of doing the same on my 60hp Mercury 4 stroke/ 1650 Legend ,how big would I need ,who sells them in Ottawa.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

I've seen some on TV and in stores and they seem like pretty good units, think orleans boat world sells them and even sails since they carry the minn kota brand..
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

Wally wrote:Was thinking of doing the same on my 60hp Mercury 4 stroke/ 1650 Legend ,how big would I need ,who sells them in Ottawa.
Check them out on the MinnKota sight as there is good info on the sizes etc. One thing you have to watch for is the depth of the
cavitation plate under the water line on your boat. I have a 140 Johnston on my 18 ft crestliner and I had to move a lot of stuff to the back of the boat to make it work. With 2 29 series motors connected for 24 volt I can troll 6 to8 hrs and still have power left.
Come home and plug into the three bank charger and ready to go the next day. Work great.
Laker
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Hmmm. Before I commit to buying one I better make sure about those critical measurements. I think I saw on line that there needs to be 13" of water above the cavitation plate. I have a 17.5' Lund with a Yamaha 150. Lots of weight on the back but the batteries are beside the console.
I got quoted $959 for the trolling motor. I think I will contact Orleans Boat World and Sail to see if they carry it as well.
Thanks for the info.