1975 Johnson 50HP (50ESL75B) Info??

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

1975 Johnson 50HP (50ESL75B) Info??

Post by qcconnection »

Hey guys,

Got a hell of a deal on a 14 foot tri hull fiberglass boat with a 50 HP 1975 Johnson on it. Motor has no prop, looks to be in good shape but might need some work.

Does anyone have any experience with a motor like this? Are parts hard to find? Is it going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix this thing up?

Thanks gents!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: 1975 Johnson 50HP (50ESL75B) Info??

Post by scarkner »

I have a soft-copy repair manual for the 60hp+ that might be useful. I can send you a link if you want it.

If you buy new Michigan Wheel prop for it, I might have a hub-kit that will fit too, would save you a few bucks.

As for parts - Yeah, its gonna be tough. My old boat (sold 2 years ago) had a 1984 70hp Johnson on it, and it was really getting touch-and-go for some parts. Thinks like fuel-pumps, etc. were still easy to find, but instead of having 3-4 vendors, you might find that only 1 or 2 carry the parts.

Things that don't break much were very hard to find. For example, I had the little pinion drive gear go on mine, i ended up finding a 1969 version that fit on ebay (still new in box!). Damn thing fit perfectly and gave me a couple more years of life. But that was sheer luck to find it.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Thanks Scarkner...

I`m getting a really, really good deal on the whole package. I`ll do some tinkering with it and see exactly what, if anything is wrong when I pick it up in a couple of weeks.

If there`s too much to fix, I can pick up a 65HP Merc from my neighbor for a pretty good deal also.

I`ll keep you updated.
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

Bombardier Recreational Products Inc has all the info.
http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1 ... 0b08996fa1
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Holy smokes. That parts catalogue has it all. Thanks a bunch for that! Much Appreciated.