Bass boat vs Deep V?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Bass boat vs Deep V?

Post by JoelE »

Good afternoon Fish-hawkers,

I'm looking for some recommendation on my next boat purchase. I have been looking around new/used boats from 17-20 feet boats ranging from 115-200 hp. Right now I have a small 14 ft bass boat with a 40 hp. I really like the bass boat however the draw back I have is that it's not really friendly when it comes to company. I will be competing in bass tournaments but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for both worlds. (probably not feasible).

Looking at the following so far:

2006 Stratos 294 xl w/ 200 hp
2011 Ranger V518c w/200 hp
2013 Ranger Z117 w/ 115 hp
2016 Princecraft xpedition 170 w/ 115 hp
2015 Princecraft maska w/115 hp

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bass boat vs Deep V?

Post by toobinator »

I'm a bass boat guy and wouldn't have it any other way. I rarely fish for anything other than bass and my boat has not left the driveway this spring. Others will tell you the complete opposite and we're both right. My knock on the aluminums of the world is the amount of wind they catch when you are trying to fish a particular spot and it's blowing. I love the ride in my Ranger too. This however is my opinion only. It'll boil down to whatever you're comfortable with. There's no wrong decision.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I've got a Bass Tracker 190tx with a 75 on it. It has done me well for the 6 years I have owned it and I regularly fish tournaments out of it.

Eds comments about the wind blowing tins around is founded however having not known anything different, it really doesn't bother me. Up until February, my next boat was going to be a glass bass boat buy my wife has never liked the fact that my boat only really comfortably seats 3 and with two kids, it isn't very practical.

At the boat show, I spent a lot of time on the new 1875 Lund Pro V Bass XS model which has two seats that flip up out of the back casting deck. This boat is rated up to a 200 and the more I looked around in it, the more I realized it will do everything I want in a boat while hitting all of the top priorities my wife has in a boat.

It'll hold rods up to 8 feet and has a great, wide casting deck. More storage that is know what to do with and has a 25" transom which would make it better suited to rough water conditions than my mod v. All that while holding 4 people and hitting around 60mph.

When the time comes, I'm thinking this may very well be my next boat. If you want to check one out, Pirate Cove had both the Pro V bass (3 seater) and XS version in stock.
Last edited by lape0019 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Have you looked at the Larson FX boats. They are a boat styled for the both bass and bringing along guests in the boat.
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Post by JoelE »

Thanks for your suggestions. I will check it out. Brand new those boats are probably out of my price range but we will see.
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

of your choices I like the Stratos only because the extra foot in length makes a difference in fishablity and better ride when you are out in less than ideal seas. And while a Stratos isn't quite a Ranger in terms of build quality they are mighty close.

Personally I made the move from Tin to fiberglass years ago and I wouldn't go back. Now but if I had a Lund lol.
Barry Keicks
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Post by Grey_Thunder »

I've had 3 different aluminum boats before my recent Champion purchase. I loved aluminum. Boats are lighter (i.e. smaller vehicle required to tow it, smaller HP to power it, smaller electric motor to pull it and fewer batteries to maintain), lasted forever, and have a great re-sale value. Also, that 1875 Lund Pro V Bass XS model is absolutely sick. Great seating options for exactly the reason you mentioned.

However, with the handful of trips I've taken out with my 18' glass boat (w/ 150 HP), I loved it like I've never loved any of my aluminums. The wind is howling and my boat is barely moving (as Ed mentioned). Also, the heavier hull tends to dampen the effects of waves. These were the main two reasons I went fibreglass and don't regret it for a second. It had nothing to do with tournament fishing or going fast - it was about comfort and fishability. That being said, nothing is perfect. There are 4 of us in my family and its not a great boat for groups. However, given that 95% of the time that I will be on the water with it, it will be used for fishing, so it was a compromise I was willing to make.