Short shaft outboard on a 20 inch transom?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Short shaft outboard on a 20 inch transom?

Post by qcconnection »

How much of an issue is it putting an outboard onto a transom that is 20 inches?

Short shaft versus long transom?
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Short shaft outboard on a 20 inch transom?

Post by NMG »

I haven't ever done it, but I don't imagine it would work well at all. I don't think the prop would have enough clean water to perform properly and I doubt it would move the boat any faster than idle speed. Even then, it's possible that the cooling inlets would be running too high and you'd wind up damaging something.

I'd look for an outboard with a 20 inch leg.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Short shaft outboard on a 20 inch transom?

Post by Super »

There are more facts needed.
What boat are you putting it on?
What do you want to do with it?
My buddy who I fish with has a 16 foot princecraft with a 60 hp with a 20 inch transom.
He also uses a 15 hp with a short shaft as a kicker that we use a lot for trolling.
No problem with trolling speed but when he runs it high speed to "clean the engine" the boat does have a decent wake but every 10 seconds the prop creates an air pocket and reeves up too high which we both know is no good but he still does it.
So if you just want to troll, no problem on a heavy boat where the short shaft is in the water the amount it should be and do not expect to go too fast.
David