Prop Info

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Prop Info

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I have been looking at props trying to decode which would be good for my outboard. I have a 2001 Mercury optimax 135 DFI. I am completely lost when it comes to props so anything would help I know that there is aluminium and SS but when it comes to pitch and all that stuff I am completely lost.

Brian
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Prop Info

Post by Wallyboss »

What do you have now, what do you want ?? Better hole shot ? top speed? What is your Wide Open Throttle RPM when trimmed properly? What is the Max RPM of your engine? All answers that the experts will need to help.

Is your motor mounted properly to your transom? When I did my prop selection I first needed to get my motor raised by 1 hole on my transom and it made a hell of a difference on the handling of my boat.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I currently have a 3 blade aluminum prop I think the pitch is 19 but will need to double check that. It is set up properly on the transom as i just had it put on at a marina this year. It's max rpms is 6000 the prop I had ok before switching to the one I have now only got me to 32 MPH at 5000 rpms which was nothing compared to the old 135 I had on. More top end speed would be great it's not a very big boat so whOle shot would be secondary.

Brian
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

Try using the prop selector app on the Mercury Marine website (www.mercurymarine.com). That will get you into the ball park. Then I would talk to your dealer for some recommendations. Personally I think you are pitched too high at 19. 5000 rpm WOT seems a bit low. Going to a 17P prop would bring your WOT closer to 5400rpm which seems more appropriate. Getting the right prop makes a world of difference in your overall boat performance. Good luck.
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S