trailer tires

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
david
Participant
Participant

trailer tires

Post by david »

Looking for recommendation on trailer tires. Where do you get them?

I was reading an article online saying trailer tires should be replaced every 3 to 5 years due to oxidation! I checked my tires. They are made in Canada Goodyear Marathon that are over 14 years old. The threads are still good but I would like to replace them just to be safe. I have checked a few places (Costco, PrincessAuto, tirebayauto, CanadianTire). They all sell different trailer tire brands that are probably all made in China, including the Goodyear Marathons. So which brand do you recommend? My tires are ST175/80R13.

Thanks.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: trailer tires

Post by Mick »

I use Carlyle tires and haven't had issues. I do not know what to say about oxidization. 14 year old tires could always use replacement, but 3 year old tires with solid tread on them wouldn't need to be replaced IMO.
Fin and Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Fin and Feather »

Just replaced my tandem axle trailer tires this year with Carlyle's from OK Tire (this is my second set of this brand). Decent tire at at good price.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Tread depth has no real correlation with "life remaining" on trailer tires. As trailer tires are prone to sitting extended periods without rolling, the oils in the rubber do not get dispersed as much as say a car or truck tire. Not only that, but it's the UV rays that degrade the sidewalls of the tire and leads to blowouts.
Replacing every 5-7 years is recommended on all trailer tires. Also, covering them with a board or cover of some kind when not in a garage, is recommended to keep UV rays to a minimum. Don't forget the spare tire, too!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The Goodyear Marathons used to be a great tire that was highly recommended. A couple of years ago, they started having issues (maybe around the time they started being made in China.)

I used Carlisle when I replaced mine a few years ago. The reason was they were what was on my trailer when I bought it and they had lasted quite well. The only reason I replaced them is that one developed a bulge from hitting a bolt that was sticking out in the cement where I store my boat. So far, I cannot complain about them.

I do have a single axle trailer though.

As for where to buy, I would give Osgoode Tire a call. My buddy just bought a set there and was really impressed with the price.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I just replaced my trailer tires after having a 5 year old Carlisle blowout on the highway, I went with RoadRiderST's after talking with many contractor buddies who run them on their trailers, not many people out there harder on their equipment! So far I'm happy with them.

I sourced them from BlackDog tire in Morrisburg
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Don't worry so much about the Brand of tire.
Make sure you use a tire pressure gauge.
Most of these tires should be run at 50 PSI.
You under inflate your tires, you'll cut thousands of miles off your tire life.
Check your tire air pressure monthly at the longest.
My new tires on my Shoreland'r trailer gone in not quite 2 years.
What make....I'm honest Carlisle tires...NOT Tire problem, owner problem
Valve stems somehow froze up. I could not get air into tires.
One tire was shot, really cupped on both inside and outer side tread wear.
The other tire is on hand as a spare for now.
bassman140
Participant
Participant

Post by bassman140 »

I am buddies with lap001 (the one he is referring too). Yep I was happy with osgoode tire. I called 2 other places and they gave me the best price. They where cheaper by about $20 a tire installed. I put on carlise sport trail, the size was 4.80-14 load range c. Got them beginning of june so still just breaking them in lol.
bassman140
Participant
Participant

Post by bassman140 »

sorry tire size was 4.80-12