Composite prop for a Honda 25HP?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
geophisher
Participant
Participant

Composite prop for a Honda 25HP?

Post by geophisher »

Ran over an unmarked shoal over the weekend and banged up the prop on the 25HP Honda on my Lund Rebel Adventure. The prop is aluminum and about 6 years old and it already had some dents and dings in it but I think it's time for a new one and I've been looking at the Piranha composite props and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy a prop (aluminium or composite) in the Ottawa area at a decent price?
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Composite prop for a Honda 25HP?

Post by Lunker Larry »

You can get the composite at Canada Propeller. I have one on my 75hp and love it. Your motor may run a bit different so you will have to play with the pitch. They let you keep trying blades until you get the performance you're after. I went from a 17 to a 19 pitch. Gave me better performance than my 17 pitch aluminum prop.
brufan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by brufan »

The Pirhanna props are great for fishing/touring. I was pulling a tube last year and one of the blades sheared off and fluttered by the tube. I do put quite a bit of strain on the prop as I generally am not towing in a straight line, but that was scary. I sent an email to the company but never heard back. I had been using that prop for about three years and hadn't replaced any blades and was really happy with it. I figured it was just an anomaly. But it happened again this summer. I now put on the aluminum prop any time I tow anything.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I was looking for a composite prop as a spare for my 40 Honda. I went to the Prop Shop in Kingston. The guy said not to do it. Apparently the Honda's don't work well with composites. He explained why, I think it has something to do with pitch and a Honda's power curve. He told me that I'd be disappointed. Anyway, I was going to spend money and he talked my out of it. Just fixed my old prop for $60.00.

He also fixes Minn kota. The battery tester button on my Power Drive V2 had cracked. It's just a decal that goes over the buttons. He had them there and gave me one.