kicker motor stolen

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
david
Participant
Participant

kicker motor stolen

Post by david »

Just a warning to fellow fish-hawkers...

My 8 HP kicker was stolen couple of weeks right in my driveway in the city. The kicker is next to my house and out of sight from the street. They cut the battery cable and the gas line. When I found out in the morning, the gas line is still dripping gas! It could be much worse if it caught fire and spread to the house.

Anyways, insurance paid for the full replacement cost minus the deductible. I got the new kicker now. I am still trying to decide how to secure it. I am thinking of a lock like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Master-Lock-430DS ... B00004SQM6 . But I read they can be pried open. Then there is the security bolt lock. I will see if I can add it as well. I plan to add surveillance camera to help the police plus a motion sensor light. Hopefully that's enough deterrents this time.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: kicker motor stolen

Post by Fishoholic »

Sorry to hear about your motor. That really sucks.

Not sure if you have the option but I take my 9.9 off the boat everytime and put it in the garage. Another buddy had his stolen off his boat that he kept in storage, he lives in an apartment. He built a rack on wheels and brings it into his appartment whenever he is not using it. Kind of a pain but with all the arse holes out there these days you gotta work a little harder to keep you own stuff safe, a shame really.
david
Participant
Participant

Post by david »

Another fish-hawker told me he had motor pad lock on his kicker and the thief cut the transom off! This happened in a cottage though and probably with no neighbors nearby.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

We use a type similar to what you are thinking of getting on a 9.9 and have for 30 years since the last one was stolen from our locked shed.
It would take a bit of a struggle to get off and with a motion sensor light close by I would think that thieves would not bother.
However if they have the time and ability to cut off a transom, I do not think anything you do will help.
David