Chip

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Rod
Participant
Participant

Chip

Post by Rod »

Looking to upgrade my sonar to sonar GPS. What chip has the most local lake/river info? I'm not brand specific but do have a buget. Thanks
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Chip

Post by CBB »

Go see Ed at Paddletails and get the Navionics+ chip. If you get a Humminbird you also have the option to build your own maps of the areas you fish and it is awsome what the detail is when loaded on the Zero Lines Card.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Yeah, if you're buying a new unit, you might as well get a Navionics+ card. You essentially download the areas you want onto the card so you will have all of the lakes you want/need in the area. It doesn't work with some older units (like my outdated Lowrance elite 5) but since you're buying new, it really doesn't matter.

For your Fishfinder combo, there are two known options and an emerging one. Lowrance and Humminbird seem to be the mains with Garmin seeming to be coming into our area strong. I've used both Humminbird and Lowrance and find Humminbird a little more user friendly these days. The Helix units are nice and come in a variety of screen sizes.

As CBB has stated, go see Ed at Paddletales if you want a Humminbird. I don't know many who have the knowledge that man has when selling a fishfinder. Guess it's one of the advantages of using a product you sell!

Adam.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Yes go see Ed as he will take care of you after you buy as well if you have any issues. Great place to shop to with top of the line fishing products and great prices along with customer service.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Thanks guy for the vote of confidence.

A basic Humminbird Helix 5 is a good place to start. Won't break the bank and is available with the Navionics+ chip. I have units on display that can be powered up and you can play with them. Also have a couple of 5's left from last year at a discount.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Rod
Participant
Participant

Post by Rod »

Thanks for the info guys.