Ice Helix 5

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Whiter88
Participant
Participant

Ice Helix 5

Post by Whiter88 »

Hey guys,

Purchased an ICE Helix 5 GPS SONAR last February the handful of times I had it out last year and this year as well everything was working pretty good. I also used it in our boat this summer.
I went out yesterday and noticed my sonar was not working, was not reading a depth/ would blink at 0.0ft. I have tried a new battery, I went to CT and purchased a new transducer, the proper XL 9 20, and seemed to have the same issue. Just made sure software version was up to date, and it is. Normally the transducer sounds (Click, click click) etc. sending out the waves. I now notice the transducer not sending frequencies, but hear a faint sound from the head unit it self (Display - the same click click the transducer normally sent.)

Any ideas or suggestions, the GPS still works no issues, it could be plugs/ pins. Who knows. Does anyone know anywhere close to Ottawa that would service these units? Could be a long shot but who knows.

Thanks in advance guys.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Ice Helix 5

Post by toobinator »

Whiter88: The proper transducer for that unit is the XNT 9 20T. The nearest service centre is Fish N' Tech in Lachute, or Bay Electronics in North bay. You might want to make sure the sonar is turned on. Turn the unit on and go to the simulator mode. When the unit has booted up press the power button unit a small screen comes up, should only take a second. Do not let it go to the power off cycle. In that small screen there is a sonar option. Make sure it says "on" If it reads "off", change it to on.

I don't know about the transducer you bought but it's not the one that came with the unit. Where did you buy the Helix?

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Whiter88
Participant
Participant

Post by Whiter88 »

Hey Ed,
Thanks for the insight, the model I have is a portable ice fishing unit. It came from cabelas and the transducer that came with it was the xl 9 20, comes with the floater. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/79052/hum ... rgps-combo
I tried your suggestion but sonar is definitely on. I will contact the lads in north bay and see if I can get it to them.
Thank you very much.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

ok, it's an xi 9 20 transducer then.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

I had something similar on a lowrance unit. Reset factory defaults fixed it.