Choosing the right trolling motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Choosing the right trolling motor

Post by toobinator »

Sensrookie: I have the Terrova in stock and I believe the MK330D as well.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

toobinator wrote:Sensrookie: I have the Terrova in stock and I believe the MK330D as well.

Ed
Thanks Ed, I'll be in touch. :D
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Here is what I've decided to go with.

I couldn't beat the price on the Garmin echoMAP™ CHIRP 75dv. It listed for $1,249.99 but I picked it up from Sail while it was on sale during boxing week for under $800 (all inclusive).

I purchased the universal mount rather than the exact fit. The RAM Mount Rectangular Plate Short Arm Round Base Mount 2.25 Ball Model: RAM-D-111U-C should do the trick.

I'm not exactly sure why I wanted the 3 bank charger but chose the 2 bank after careful consideration. The Minn Kota MK220PC 2 Bank x 10 Amp Precision Charger (1832200) should more than cover what I need. I also chose the precision charger due to the better overall charge.

Since the Minn Kota Terrova 80-US2 Trolling Motor with i-Pilot and Bluetooth - 24V-80lb-60 inch will be the last trolling motor I purchase in a while I thought I'd get all the bells and whistles. The prices on these have varied but so far Bass Pro Shops has the best price on this one. I still want to do some checking around for pricing so I may hold off until after I check all possible sales.

Garmin echoMAP™ CHIRP 75dv
RAM Mount Rectangular Plate Short Arm Round Base Mount 2.25 Ball Model: RAM-D-111U-C
Minn Kota MK220PC 2 Bank x 10 Amp Precision Charger (1832200)
Minn Kota Terrova 80-US2 Trolling Motor with i-Pilot and Bluetooth - 24V-80lb-60 inch
Shoreline Marine Battery Tray 27 m
MotoMaster Nautilus Ultra Group 24 AGM Deep Cycle Battery

So thank you to all of you that had input and hope to see you out there in May.

Happy trails and good fishing.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Sensrookie,

Going with the 2 bank will work if you only want to charge your deep cycle batteries. Keep in mind that this new graph of yours is going to drain the power off your cranking battery. In my experience, my short bursts of driving the boat around are never enough to fully charge the cranking battery. It almost always needs at least a half hour on the charger when I get home.

I'm assuming you bought the group 24 deep cycle because it is the same as the one you already have? If so, that is fine. I just prefer to go with a group 27 or higher when buying my deep cycles. I also prefer to buy my batteries in pairs but that isn't always cost effective.

Reagrdless, looks like you'll be setup quite well for the upcoming season.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

lape0019 wrote:Sensrookie,

Going with the 2 bank will work if you only want to charge your deep cycle batteries. Keep in mind that this new graph of yours is going to drain the power off your cranking battery. In my experience, my short bursts of driving the boat around are never enough to fully charge the cranking battery. It almost always needs at least a half hour on the charger when I get home.

I'm assuming you bought the group 24 deep cycle because it is the same as the one you already have? If so, that is fine. I just prefer to go with a group 27 or higher when buying my deep cycles. I also prefer to buy my batteries in pairs but that isn't always cost effective.

Yeah, I just read up on some more info and I think you might be right on the 3 bank.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Sensrookie: I have the MK330D charger in stock now. I would be interested in hearing what the BPS price was on that trolling motor. If you got the price off their site it is in U.S. dollars.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

You can never be overpowered with an electric trolling motor! That 55# needs to run at a higher speed, drawing more juice from your battery (causing it to drain your battery that much quicker) to do the same work as the 80#
Also, a 24V system will last quite a bit longer out on the water compared to a 12V. Doing day trips and recharging after each trip, a 12V system is great, going away for a week to the cottage, you'd most likely be hauling the battery out to put it on the charger once or twice during the week to top it up where as a 24V system should last you the whole week.
You made a good choice!
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

toobinator wrote:Sensrookie: I have the MK330D charger in stock now. I would be interested in hearing what the BPS price was on that trolling motor. If you got the price off their site it is in U.S. dollars.

Ed
HI Ed, yes it was in USD and after taxes, delivery and exchange rate it comes to more than what you had quoted me. After I signed in and went to checkout I noticed that it was in US funds.

I should never have doubted that you would be the best price. I'll be in touch soon :D
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

jjcanoe wrote:You can never be overpowered with an electric trolling motor! That 55# needs to run at a higher speed, drawing more juice from your battery (causing it to drain your battery that much quicker) to do the same work as the 80#
Also, a 24V system will last quite a bit longer out on the water compared to a 12V. Doing day trips and recharging after each trip, a 12V system is great, going away for a week to the cottage, you'd most likely be hauling the battery out to put it on the charger once or twice during the week to top it up where as a 24V system should last you the whole week.
You made a good choice!
Thanks, that's why I come here for advise.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Picked up everything this past weekend from Paddeltales. Just waiting for the accessories adaptor and another marine battery. They stock a heck of a lot of goodies in that little shop in Winchester. Well worth the visit. Thanks again Ed. I can't wait to get it all put together so I can start trying to figure it all out. Wish me luck.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Had a feeling that was you. I didn't want to ask too many questions on account of having the young lad there with me and he was already getting frustrated waiting for dad LOL.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

lape0019 wrote:Had a feeling that was you. I didn't want to ask too many questions on account of having the young lad there with me and he was already getting frustrated waiting for dad LOL.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
Cool. Now I can put a face to the userid. :)
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

I picked up two Full River DC115-12 batteries (115AH / 12V BCI GRP 31DC) from Total Battery today. While not cheap at least I'll have piece of mind with the battery. That should finish off all the purchases I'll need for Saturday.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Sensrookie wrote:
lape0019 wrote:Sensrookie,

Yeah, I just read up on some more info and I think you might be right on the 3 bank.
After installing the 3 bank system I realized that I won't be able to hook up to the charging battery. Two different types of batteries which will only create havoc with the system. My MK330PC is only using two of the three banks right now but I have room for a third hookup if I can find some more room on the boat for another marine battery.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Sensrookie wrote:Picked up everything this past weekend from Paddeltales. Just waiting for the accessories adaptor and another marine battery. They stock a heck of a lot of goodies in that little shop in Winchester. Well worth the visit. Thanks again Ed. I can't wait to get it all put together so I can start trying to figure it all out. Wish me luck.
I fish from the drivers seat in most cases so my Garmin is located near the steering wheel. Since I'm not a big bass fisherman I don't need the Garmin next to the trolling motor. For this reason I also need a MKR-US2-11 universal sonar 2 extension cable to reach from the trolling motor to the Garmin. The cable is 14 1/2 ft long so I have lots of room to spare. I also need the connector cable assembly for the foot pedal.