Choosing the right trolling motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Choosing the right trolling motor

Post by Sensrookie »

Hi folks,

I knew if I came here I would get a few intelligent responses on choosing the right trolling motor for my boat. So here she goes. :D

First off, I own a 16" Legend Xcalibur and I just purchased a echoMAP CHIRP 75dv and would like to have the trolling motor installed at the same time. Here's what I think I want so far with a budget of approx. $1,500.

I-Pilot trolling motor
55 lbs thrust
12 volt trolling motor
bow mount
Foot control with remote
Self Directional
Composite or Stainless Steel Long Shaft
Weedless prop

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should go for. I like to get out on different waters for walleye mostly but I enjoy trout, bass and occasionally pike or muskee.

Is that enough information to make a educated guess on which one I should purchase? Where is the best place to start? I here Paddetales might be able to fix me up too. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Andy
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Choosing the right trolling motor

Post by lape0019 »

Andy,
I wrote out a long post and realized there was no need. I personally do not like Motorguide at all from past experiences and the new Minnkota electric steers seem to be better in every way over the Xi5.

I believe it is in your budget but you will have to check. If I was in your shoes, I would get the Terrova with I-Pilot. If you plan on running a fishfinder up front, get the one with US2 for the 2d transducer. Otherwise, just get the non US2 version.
Last edited by lape0019 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

X2 on the Terrova. If you can sneak it in the budget I would go with the 80lbs thrust, 24 volt model. The extra thrust will come in handy on those windy days or in heavy current. I would also seriously consider an on-board charging system if you are not already equipped.

Good luck with your purchase.
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Go bigger than 55lb, you do not want to be under powered. I would look for 80lb
- Rick Ozga
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to decide if 55 lbs of thrust and 12V is enough. There's never any more than two in my boat and I don't carry a lot of gear so I'm probably looking at pushing 1500 lbs. I'm also wondering if 80 lbs of thrust is an over kill on my 16" Legend.

So far, its coming down to MinnKota Terrova 80/US2/I-pilot with 60" shaft and 24V or MinnKota Terrova 55/US2/I-pilot link with 54" shaft and 12V. I'd also have to fix in another battery for the 24V so that puts the cost estimate up that much more. I just don't want to make the mistake and regret not getting more power. :icon-ugeek:
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

depends on the weather you fish in and bodies of water you fish. I was under powered last year with a 65lb on 17 foot astro. Was ok on the calm days but when the wind really kicked up or i was in the current i needed more power.

I'm sure there are a few guys on this forum with a similar boat who could offer more advice.
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

My father has an older Lund 1775 with a 55lb powerdrive. It does the job on a calm to moderate day. Anything more than 10mph and it is useless. I wasn't going to get into the 12v/24v talk but since its been brought up, it is always better to over power. You will never wish you had less power...

As for the I pilot link, I don't think it will serve any purpose for you. The benefits of Link are not really offered up here unless you have a Hummingbird unit with Autochart live to create maps so you can follow a contour. The only other thing link would allow you to do is store more waypoints for spot lock or record more tracks than the I pilot would let you store on the remote.

Link can only follow contours from two sources currently. The first one is Lakemaster charts which are only offered in the USA and if I remember correctly, part of the Great lakes. The other option is Autochart Live which is found on the Onix, most Helix and new Solix units. So if you do not have one of these units and the time to map a lake (also requiring a zero lines card), Link really isn't worth it. As a side note, you may be able to use older Autochart Pro info as well but I am not 100% sure on that.

So if you can swing it (I am pretty sure it is just outside of the $1500 you wanted to spend), get the MinnKota Terrova 80/US2/I-pilot with 60". This is exactly what I have and I am very happy with it. The newer versions out now are supposedly better than my older one with better GPS accuracy, a redesigned foot pedal with spot lock functionality and a faster turning speed. I doubt you will be disappointed.
Last edited by lape0019 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Andy you pretty much listed everything that is on a Minn Kota Power Drive 55 with I Pilot. I have this unit on my Alaskan and love it. We have actually fished a total of over 8 hrs using the electric motor off and on controling drifts and spot lock with no issues with battery power and the battery is a Walmart Deep cycle 6 yrs old. No ft pedal but thats what I like about it as I can fish anywhere in the boat and control the motor. 3 other Lunds and always just left the electric in the shop as hated the ft peddle and battery issues. I am pretty sure I have the 4ft shaft and no issues and your boat is pretty much the same design as what I am running with the Alaskan. Go see Ed at paddle tails and he should be able to set you up with a good motor for your boat and we will install it when we do your Garmin. I would recommend an on board charger as it just makes it so much easier to charge up the batteries. The Terrova is also a great motor that is proven with little issues and would problably have better resale value if you upgrade in the next couple yrs.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

lape0019 wrote:My father has an older Lund 1775 with a 55lb powerdrive. It does the job on a calm to moderate day. Anything more than 10mph and it is useless. I wasn't going to get into the 12v/24v talk but since its been brought up, it is always better to over power. You will never wish you had less power...

As for the I pilot link, I don't think it will serve any purpose for you. The benefits of Link are not really offered up here unless you have a Hummingbird unit with Autochart live to create maps so you can follow a contour. The only other thing link would allow you to do is store more waypoint for spot lock or record more tracks than the I pilot would let you store on the remote.

Link can only follow contours from two sources currently. The first one is Lakemaster charts which are only offered in the USA and if I remember correctly, part of the great lakes. The other option is Autochart Live which is found on the Onix, most Helix and new Solix units. So if you do not have one of these units and the time to map a lake, Link really isn't worth it. As a side note, you may be able to use older Autochart Pro info as well but I am not 100% sure on that.

So if you can swing it ( I am pretty sure it is just outside of the $1500 you wanted to spend), get the MinnKota Terrova 80/US2/I-pilot with 60". This is exactly what I have and I am very happy with it. The newer versions out now are supposedly better than my older one with better GPS accuracy, a redesigned foot pedal with spot lock functionality and a faster turning speed. I doubt you will be disappointed.
Great info right there for you and spend a little more and happy or skimp and always wish for something more.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

CBB wrote:Andy you pretty much listed everything that is on a Minn Kota Power Drive 55 with I Pilot.
Only downside to this version is that you lose the foot pedal which is something he still wants as stated in the original post.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Thanks for all the awesome advise. That's one of the main reasons I like coming here. Tonnes of experience. 8)

After all consideration, I've decided that I want to go with the Terrova 80/US2/I-pilot with 60" shaft. It meets and exceeds all my expectations. The I-pilot Link threw me for a loop and helped make my decision that much easier. I want to be able to hook the GPS into the trolling motor and try to keep up with the technology. Now I just hope I know what to do when I do get it all put together.

Looks like I will need a 3 bank battery charger as well. I'm guessing this one should do the trick.
Minn Kota MK-3 3 Bank x 10 Amp 10A DC Alternator Marine Boat 12V Battery Charger

I'll have to visit the Outdoor & Adventure Travel Show in Ottawa on 1-2 April and see if I can't find some deals. Paddletails is my best option so far though.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

CBB wrote:Andy you pretty much listed everything that is on a Minn Kota Power Drive 55 with I Pilot. I have this unit on my Alaskan and love it. We have actually fished a total of over 8 hrs using the electric motor off and on controling drifts and spot lock with no issues with battery power and the battery is a Walmart Deep cycle 6 yrs old. No ft pedal but thats what I like about it as I can fish anywhere in the boat and control the motor. 3 other Lunds and always just left the electric in the shop as hated the ft peddle and battery issues. I am pretty sure I have the 4ft shaft and no issues and your boat is pretty much the same design as what I am running with the Alaskan. Go see Ed at paddle tails and he should be able to set you up with a good motor for your boat and we will install it when we do your Garmin. I would recommend an on board charger as it just makes it so much easier to charge up the batteries. The Terrova is also a great motor that is proven with little issues and would problably have better resale value if you upgrade in the next couple yrs.
Thanks Jeff. You know I'll be out to see you in the near future now. :D
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

lape0019 wrote:My father has an older Lund 1775 with a 55lb powerdrive. It does the job on a calm to moderate day. Anything more than 10mph and it is useless. I wasn't going to get into the 12v/24v talk but since its been brought up, it is always better to over power. You will never wish you had less power...

As for the I pilot link, I don't think it will serve any purpose for you. The benefits of Link are not really offered up here unless you have a Hummingbird unit with Autochart live to create maps so you can follow a contour. The only other thing link would allow you to do is store more waypoints for spot lock or record more tracks than the I pilot would let you store on the remote.

Link can only follow contours from two sources currently. The first one is Lakemaster charts which are only offered in the USA and if I remember correctly, part of the Great lakes. The other option is Autochart Live which is found on the Onix, most Helix and new Solix units. So if you do not have one of these units and the time to map a lake (also requiring a zero lines card), Link really isn't worth it. As a side note, you may be able to use older Autochart Pro info as well but I am not 100% sure on that.

So if you can swing it (I am pretty sure it is just outside of the $1500 you wanted to spend), get the MinnKota Terrova 80/US2/I-pilot with 60". This is exactly what I have and I am very happy with it. The newer versions out now are supposedly better than my older one with better GPS accuracy, a redesigned foot pedal with spot lock functionality and a faster turning speed. I doubt you will be disappointed.
You sold me on the 80lb thrust. :)
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

lape0019 wrote:
CBB wrote:Andy you pretty much listed everything that is on a Minn Kota Power Drive 55 with I Pilot.
Only downside to this version is that you lose the foot pedal which is something he still wants as stated in the original post.
The I-pilot functionality is more important to me than the foot pedal. I also like the remote but it does take one hand away for driving.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

[quote="Sensrookie"] Looks like I will need a 3 bank battery charger as well. I'm guessing this one should do the trick.
Minn Kota MK-3 3 Bank x 10 Amp 10A DC Alternator Marine Boat 12V Battery Charger
quote]

Yes, the MK330D would be a very good choice.