Choosing the right trolling motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Re: Choosing the right trolling motor

Post by Trout_83 »

I've got the same setup ... 80lb Terrova/iPilot... I don't even use the foot pedal ! If you spend most of your time near your console you'll be more than happy just using your handheld remote for the Terrova. Also, what size breaker did you get ? And have you installed the Terrova yet ? You'll need 6 gauge wire and I believe a 60 amp breaker if I'm remembering correctly ...
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

Trout_83 wrote:I've got the same setup ... 80lb Terrova/iPilot... I don't even use the foot pedal ! If you spend most of your time near your console you'll be more than happy just using your handheld remote for the Terrova. Also, what size breaker did you get ? And have you installed the Terrova yet ? You'll need 6 gauge wire and I believe a 60 amp breaker if I'm remembering correctly ...
I don't expect I'll be using the foot pedal much either but I always like to be prepared for the one time I might want to use it. The Terrova is already installed, thanks to my good friend Jeff (CBB). He was awesome and installed everything for me. Super nice guy.

I bought the Minn Kota MK330PC 3 bank 10 A precision on-board charger. Jeff put a shrink wrap on one of the connectors so I'm only using two banks right now. I'm hoping to install a marine stereo some time in the future but for now the two will work fine.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Sensrookie wrote:After installing the 3 bank system I realized that I won't be able to hook up to the charging battery. Two different types of batteries which will only create havoc with the system. My MK330PC is only using two of the three banks right now but I have room for a third hookup if I can find some more room on the boat for another marine battery.
Not sure why you aren't hooked up to all your batteries. Your MK330-PC can charge lead acid (your trolling motor) and AGM (your cranking battery) without a problem.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.