Electronics Upgrade: Lowrance Elite 7 TI ?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Electronics Upgrade: Lowrance Elite 7 TI ?

Post by bcjohnso99 »

I've done some research and found that there are too many options!

I have narrowed my target to the Lowrance Elite 7 TI for the following reasons:
decent size screen (min 7")
close to target budget ~$1000 (absolute max $1500 with NAV+ card + tax)
configurable chartplotter / sonar / downscan / overlay screen layouts
WiFi for screen mirroring to tablet
Create your own maps (Can do this live *directly* on the device and on tablet with Navionics App)
Track back - scroll back in sonar history and apply waypoints to structure
Future option: can control wireless trilling motor (MG Xi5) directly - I have a MinnKota iPilot which is great but HB wants $900 for a device to connect a chartplotter to it to do the same (booooo)

I know it doesn't have the fancy 3d view, downscan overlay on Sonar, control for radar/autopilot/etc that the next step up in price have - this boy ain't that rich :)

Questions:
Anyone attest to the quality of the sonar (clarity, fish identification, etc)?
Anyone know if you can plan routes before the trip, or just record?
is the sidescan really useful ($200 option)?
Is there another unit that you believe is better for about the same price? (I don't need to go cheaper, but better is always good)

Thanks for any feedback... can't wait to hit the water, especially with new gear!
wallyandre
Participant
Participant

Re: Electronics Upgrade: Lowrance Elite 7 TI ?

Post by wallyandre »

This is the best unit for the money; I have a friend that bought one last year and he is more then happy with his unit; he choose the one with the Totalscan transducer and about a month ago he install the latest update to be able to create his map directly on the screen.
I run a HDS link to my Motor Guide Xi5 nd love it. Touchscreen make things so easy!
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Re: Electronics Upgrade: Lowrance Elite 7 TI ?

Post by bcjohnso99 »

Well I pulled the trigger - bought a Simrad GO7 XSE.

Here's my take (may not be 100% accurate or complete but thought you might like to know what I found):

The Simrad GO7 XSE and Lowrance Elite 7 TI run the same software, that's very clear from the manuals, which are also very similar. But there are differences.

First the similarities (major items)
• same basic specs for screen, processor, storage
• Configurable chartplotter / sonar / down/sidescan / overlay screen layouts - 1,2,3 or 4 applications per screen
• WiFi (host) for screen mirroring to smart phone, tablet (with remote control)
• WiFi (client) for s/w + map downloads, etc
• Create your own maps (live *directly* on the device <-- according to Navionics)
• Create your own maps (on tablet via WiFi with Navionics App)
• Track back - scroll back in sonar history and apply waypoints to structure
• Downscan w overlay on Sonar
• Sidescan (opt transducer)
• Can plan routes on the chart before going on the trip and navigate to/with them
• Insight Genesis compatibility

Now the differences:

Both have integrations (few of which I would consider as the cost to do the integrations is steep). Here is where they target different markets. Lowrance is targeting the inland fisherman and Simrad is targeting the big water/cruising market

• Lowrance: control Xi5 bow mount electric, power pole anchor
• Simrad: autopilot (hydraulic steering), integrates external weather and radar (9"+), engine management, audio, etc

• The menus are difference and the Simrad does not have buttons - slightly concerned about adding a "here" waypoint - on Lowrance it is a dedicated button which seems nicer.
• Simrad: has forward-scan capability (i.e. so you don't run your cruiser aground)
• Simrad: has a trip planner that tracks range, fuel economy, etc (not sure what this can do yet if not connected to engine management to get fuel consumption)
• Lowrance: has bluetooth, which is currently only for power poles (??) but maybe in the future other things?
• Simrad: has bluetooth, which is currently only for SonicHub audio (??) but maybe in the future other things?

Also, in Ottawa, there are no Simrad dealers. Multiple places have Lowrance but the Ti locally is about $120 more than the Simrad from Anglering Outfitters