Boat registration ownership

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
acadian
Participant
Participant

Boat registration ownership

Post by acadian »

Disregard my post I was able to license the boat to my name via online and was free thanks all for the help.

Good day everyone,

I recently inherited a fiberglass boat 16 feet Larivee the capacity tag on it faded was able to find the same boat model and could see the specification on it. also my dad who passed away got this boat when he purchase a cottage had a boat license number on it. the boat year built from what I find could be 1980's the serial number in the back of the boat was on a lamacoid plate and because I couldn't read it well I decided to use a drill steel brush to try and see it better ( cause more damaged to it )... now I could only read a few numbers...here are my questions / 1: I now have a 15HP motor on it and from what I read I need to license the boat and in order to do this from what I read I need the ownership for this old boat and have no idea what to do... 2: if I have a 9.9 motor on it does that mean I'm good to go fishing :) and don't need ownership / boat to have a license? 3:for a boat such as this 16 feet with a 9.9hp or 15hp do I need to have insurance? I want to avoid any surprises if I get stopped by MNR thank you so much anyone who can guide me on the right path to get some fishing done ASAP :D cheers all
Last edited by acadian on Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Boat registration ownership / boat ID

Post by Roblin »

I'd call Service Canada. They can be very helpful. I had a old boat that I restored. New transom board, seats and paint. The HIN was missing but Service Canada said I had done enough work to qualify as home build and they let me licence it.
acadian
Participant
Participant

Post by acadian »

Thank you Roblin for your help, I'm going to Service Canada this Thursday to chat with them... I did lot's of reading on line but I have to say it could be confusing example.

Ownership of a boat = Title of ownership registration

License of a boat is the registration of the boat with transport Canada = any pleasure craft that is equipped with a motor over 9.9 hp and from my understanding in order to do this I need the ownership of the boat right?

I did find the signed off boat license certificate and it match the bow port numbers on the boat so this is good news right :) not dated just signed off by the previous owner that the boat was license to.
acadian
Participant
Participant

Post by acadian »

To add to my previous post : A license or registration is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft, which are principally maintained or operated in Canada.
Owners of pleasure craft of all tonnages and lengths may choose to license them under the Canada Shipping Act.

So It seem I have the option to license it OR Register it that's why I say it could be confusing... if I license it there is a cost to it higher then getting a registration for the boat...