Ipilot to foot pedal

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Ipilot to foot pedal

Post by JoelE »

Good evening,

I'm trying to convert my powerdrive v2 that has ipilot to have a foot pedal. I read online that this is possible with a doggie switch. All the forums mention a white and black wire on the control board but I don't have one.

I figured out that my yellow and green work with the red which works with the pedal but doesn't if it's connected at the same time. Has anyone ever did this?

I have attached a picture.
Attachments
20170612_140131.jpg
20170612_140131.jpg (5.03 MiB) Viewed 3862 times
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Ipilot to foot pedal

Post by CNs »

I found this on Walleye central:

I installed a switch in my Powerdrive so that I could use either. It's a simple procedure, but you have to unplug one, then plug in the other. You can't have them both working at the same time. The switch will only work on a non auto pilot V2.

Here's a link for switches,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

Scroll down till you see the diagram for a DPDT switch. On the diagram, the 2 terminals on the right of the switch would be the black and white wires running to the steering motor. On the left side of the diagram, there are 4 terminals. One set of terminals would be for the black and white wires coming from your control board which you had to disconnect when installing the I-pilot. The other set would be for the black and white wires from the I-pilot. You can see it is very simple. The only modification you did when installing the I-pilot was to switch the steering motor wires from the control board to the I-pilot. This toggle switch will allow you to switch back and forth between the two when you plug the foot pedal in, or the I-pilot. I bought this switch from Radio Shack, 275-0666 DPDT heavy duty toggle switch. Using this switch, the center 2 terminals would be for the wires from the steering box. The end terminals would be for each set of from the I-pilot and control board. Keep the black wires on 1 side of the switch, and the white wires on the other side. Obviously you can only have either the I-pilot or the foot pedal plugged into the round connector on the motor. When you change over, just flip the switch. I'm surprised MinnKota didn't offer something like this. Perhaps they didn't because it will only work with the non auto pilot powerdrives. PS As a precaution, I would disconnect power before switching back and forth. I mounted my switch on the plastic by the release lever.
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Post by JoelE »

Yeah I found the exact forum however I don't see a white and black coming from the control board.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

A wise route would be sell the IPilot and buy a foot pedal model as you make a mistake and you will fry the board and end up buying a new one anyway or paying for major repairs.
slyced
Participant
Participant

Post by slyced »

Have you had any luck figuring it out? I have the same model and looking to do the same.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

slyced wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:27 am Have you had any luck figuring it out? I have the same model and looking to do the same.
Did you notice the date of this thread?
Smitty

Straight shooter
laker99911
Participant
Participant

Post by laker99911 »

Here is a link that shows exactly how to do it.

https://vimeo.com/291593908