Question regarding Humminbird Helix 5 models...

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
MarkM
Participant
Participant

Question regarding Humminbird Helix 5 models...

Post by MarkM »

Looking at either the Helix 5 CHIRP or the 5 CHIRP + NAV.

I'm torn between the two trying to decide if I need the NAV option...

Can anyone chime in their preference and why.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Question regarding Humminbird Helix 5 models...

Post by toobinator »

The built in maps that are built into the units are basically useless. There are just the outlines of the water bodies with no depths or obstructions shown. The Navionics chip that comes with the unit is worth about $250.00 on its own, but I think runs around $50.00 or $60.00 when included with the unit and is very detailed.

I have both in stock at Paddletales.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Re: Question regarding Humminbird Helix 5 models...

Post by Trout_83 »

Get the GPS model with the Nav chip. I use it ALL the time. its nice to have on new bodies of water for exploring, you can drop way points if you want, you can trace your path while on the water. If you are trolling, use it to troll a contour line or just trace your path back while trolling. Some of the lakes around here have unbelievable detailed contour lines on the Navionics chip. If you haven't already, check out the navionics web app and just explore the lakes around here. my cottage lake isn't on the navionics chip and my only wish for my helix 5 would be for it to have the live mapping feature built in. Even without having contour lines, I can still trace my path on the lake and drop way points.

Cheers
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot