Terrova or xi5

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Terrova or xi5

Post by JoelE »

Good day everyone,

I'm looking to get an upgraded trolling motor where I can have a pedal and autopilot and was researching between the terrova 80 or the xi5. Was wondering which one would you recommend. Right now my electronics can't connect to a trolling motor so doesn't matter sonar wise at this point.

Thanks
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Terrova or xi5

Post by River Monster »

I've never heard anyone complain about minn kota...can't say the same about motor guide. but i guess all depends on who you talk to.

Also the minn kota can be serviced on ottawa.

what type of boat are you putting it on?
- Rick Ozga
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Post by JoelE »

I have an 18 foot princecraft aluminum with a 115 hp.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Joel,

If you were to have asked this question maybe a year ago, the answer would have been motorguide because the GPS features held you closer to the spot you selected than that of the Terrova. At this point, I believe the Terrova has caught up and surpassed the Xi5.

The Terrova has also been out longer so they have worked through a couple of generations with different features.

I personally have a Terrova (an older one) and the only thing I can complain about is that in extremely heavy cover, your motor will get bogged down and the prop will not turn until you clean it off. I suspect the Motor guide would not be any better in this situation. I also prefer that the pedal is connected instead of wireless just so that I know if will work when I need it. I am not sure if motorguide has upgraded the wireless pedal but I know there were connection issues with the original wireless pedal losing connection often.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I've had a Powerdrive v2 i-pilot for 7 years and it's great. Just bought a new one with the upgrades. I had two issues with the Powerdrive. I managed to crack a shaft which was replaced, no problem. I also wore out the rubber buttons on my controller. The new controller has replaceable parts.
The Prop Shop in Kingston is the Minn Kota service center in my area and the service is fantastic. They gave me a used replacement controller.
Their prop repair service is also great. Fixed mine in two hours.
The Minn Kota site has all the schematics and parts lists. You can also order parts direct from Minn Kota.
Whatever your decide, I'd be sure to check out the availability of parts and repair services.
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Post by JoelE »

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm reading mixed reviews between both so very hard to decide. One is approx $500 cheaper then the other also. The other thing I'm looking at is if upgrade my electronics well Hds are way more expensive then helix g2n if want to take full advantage of the ipilot link or the motorguide function. So in the end, the cost would end up the same I think. Maybe some will come on special soon which will help who knows.
Leerjmc
Participant
Participant

Post by Leerjmc »

A friend of mine has the xi5.amazing.really eats the batterys up but thing works fantastically.gps anchor lock is key in high winds.makes windy fishing fun.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Keep in mind that the ipilot link (vs standard ipilot) is the only one that can be controlled by the unit. So if you get a lowrance or a Humminbird, it won't really matter unless you get the link. Having said that, if you get the link, please be aware that you will not be able to follow contour lines unless you create your own maps. That feature is only supported with lakemaster maps right now and there really aren't any for this area.

Also of note, the Helix is not a defect competitir to the HDS units. That IMO would be the Onix/Solix units. The Helix is more compatible to the Elite u it's right now.

And you are going to find good and bad reviews on both. But if you look around at the boats on the water here, you will notice more Minnkota products than Motorguide.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

You already know my opinion on motorguide W series. The challenge is getting these units serviced. And parts such as just a worn pinion are not available you need to order a complete transmission if it fails.
I know of a good powerdrive V2... that may be available next year! Lol
Good luck Joel!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!