Question 2017 20hp Merc

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Ammokingjr
Participant
Participant

Question 2017 20hp Merc

Post by Ammokingjr »

Good day, I'm having some troubles with my 20HP Merc. Recently I have hit a couple rocks and logs (never going too fast) maybe 10km tops and now my motor is leaking some fuel. Still runs fine tho. I am also no longer able to raise the motor when in the raised position. any help would be greatly appreciated.... Damn Ottawa river
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Question 2017 20hp Merc

Post by Roblin »

The fuel leak is probably a loose connection. You'll have to remove the cowl and look for it. Pump the bulb and it may show. If not run the motor in water and look for the leak. Wipe everything dry with paper towels and look for the wet. Hopefully something is loose. If the leak started in conjunction with hitting something, you may have a bigger problem.
As for the motor not raising, sounds like you warped something in the mount. Hopefully it's light weight and you can bend it back. You'll have to spend some time and look for what's bent or binding.
If you can't find it you'll have to take it to the shop.
Good luck.