Configuration of Hummingbird Sonar

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
csedev
Participant
Participant

Configuration of Hummingbird Sonar

Post by csedev »

Hi everyone,

Was out at Walleye Bay today, testing out the Hummingbird 7 Ice Sonar. I was able to configure the sonar and sensitivity so anything in the water column was very clear and easy to spot. But, the fish that were close to the bottom did not appear. I'm finding that the river bottom is not very clear on the screen.

Any ideas how I could reconfigure the sonar settings when fish are near the bottom of the river to get better visibility?

Thanks,

Chris
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Configuration of Hummingbird Sonar

Post by jona38 »

Were you able to see your bait on bottom and just not any fish?
If you couldn't see anything at all close to bottom you probably had something in your cone angle creating a dead zone. Because you are stationary whatever is on bottom that may be sticking up will become the bottom you see on you unit. If there was one single rock sticking up 1 foot from bottom you end up with a 1 foot dead zone.
Check out this video for a better explanation. Skip to the 8 min mark if you aren't interested in the rest but I must say the whole vid is worth a look. Hope this helps Jon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zT4olrk3Y4