Boat brands Crestliner vs Smokercraft

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Boat brands Crestliner vs Smokercraft

Post by crwalker1987 »

Hey guys,

Just looking on some feedback between two models. Crestliner 1450 Discovery with SC and 40hp merc and a smokercraft Angler 16sc with a 40hp etec. From what I have read the Crestliner is a superior boat but i wanted to see what opinions are out there.

https://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/20 ... ity/angler

https://www.crestliner.com/discovery/1450-discovery/

Cheers,

Chris
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Boat brands Crestliner vs Smokercraft

Post by lape0019 »

That's a hard question to answer.

I'd go crestliner since the motor would be pushing less weight. Crestliner is also a more popular brand and the merc 4 stroke in that size is almost bulletproof. I absolutely has nothing more than maintenance costs with my older 75 four stroke.

with that out of the way, the extra 2 feet and I would assume longer warranty option on the Etec makes this a difficult choice.

This will come down to what you plan on doing with the boat and where you plan on fishing.

My buddies dad had a Lund Rebel 1455 with a 40 on it and the three of us used to fish out of it all of the time for bass. I was amazed at how well it fished three even though we did have to pay attention. He recently bought a 16 footer but it hasn't come in yet.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

The smokercraft model you are looking at can handle a bigger motor (look at the 16 xl sc. its the same boat but rated for a 60. They do this kind of shenanigans to have a price point version.

The crestliner fishes bigger and will really perform with a 40. also better resale
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

I pulled the pin on the crestliner. I also found an interesting sheet on the evinrude warranty which kind of deterred me. Pics below! pretty happy and its gonna be a great season!

Cheers,

Chris
Attachments
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 7784 times
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 7784 times
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

In all honesty, I think you made the right decision.

And if you bought from AIM (which is looks like you did), they'll take care of you in the event of anything going wrong with that boat.

As for the warranty, I have seen that paperwork before but it still did not deter me from buying an Evinrude over a Merc or Yammy. You just have to go into a boat purchase knowing exactly what you are getting and I still felt it was a great deal to have peace of mind for 10 years or up to the fair market value of the motor at the time of failure. Like any warranty, it is there when you need it but you hope to never use it.

Congrats on the purchase!
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

Thanks! now for the thaw!
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

$8000 is a lot of work done....Be careful listening to a manufacture talking about another manufacturers warranty. When Mercs warranty runs out after a couple years open your wallet as well. In actuality BRP offers more for a warranty in my opinion. Yes a warranty claim costs $25 more but come year 6,7,8,9,10 $5000-$6000 worth of covered work done is more than others are offering. Just my 2 cents.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

I have an 8 year platinum warranty on the merc.
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

Nice boat. Congrats. I have the Creastliner 1600 Fishhawk SC. Great boat. You're going to like the 1450
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

I bought a Crestliner Vision 1700 with a 115 Merc. 4 stroke, new in 2015, fantastic boat and motor.
You won't regret your choice, had one small warranty issue with the boat which the dealer had fixed in less than a week. Excellent dealer customer service!
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.