Boat Insurance

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Boat Insurance

Post by crwalker1987 »

Hey guys,

Just shopping around for Boat insurance. I got a really good quote from Portside insurance here in Ottawa. I also got a decent one from Northstar Marine Insurance. Anyone ever deal with them or have any other suggestions.

Cheers,

Chris
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Boat Insurance

Post by zeke13 »

I've always been with Rhodes & Williams.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I went through this in January and ended up with Portside. It doesn’t cover quite as much as Northstar and Rhodes and Williams did in my case for content insurance but was substantially cheaper than any other company and because of how and where I store my boat, I was not concerned.

Second reason I went with Portside was that they were the only company to offer monthly payments.

Granted, things may be a bit different between the boat I bought and the boat you are trying to insure but I just couldn’t find a cheaper option and I think I was close to 6 quotes before I made up my mind. This is also the insurance company that was recommended by the place I bought my boat.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

As another note, I also checked with Aviva and MD insurance. Aviva offered some pretty good payment options as well.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

Hey Lape,

What were the differences in coverage options between port side and north star? Maybe I missed something when it was explained to me but they both offered me $5000 in content and $5000 in towing and $1500 in boat rental. I imagine you probably have more than $5000 which of content. I unfortunately do not :(
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

crwalker1987 wrote:Hey Lape,

What were the differences in coverage options between port side and north star? Maybe I missed something when it was explained to me but they both offered me $5000 in content and $5000 in towing and $1500 in boat rental. I imagine you probably have more than $5000 which of content. I unfortunately do not :(
What kind of boat do you have, are you storing the boat inside for winter? Units\tackle, do you want that covered as well?
Rhodes and Williams is an insurance broker.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Generally you get what you pay for.
You will want to confirm if your policy is Agreed Value or Actual Value payout on total loss of your boat. If you want cheaper premiums and will be satisfied getting paid a fraction of what you're boat is worth if it's totalled, then go Actual Value. Otherwise pay higher premiums but get payed out exactly what your boat is insured for with an Agreed Value policy.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

The policy was indeed for agreed value. the boat is a 1450 crestliner discovery with a 40hp merc. I think i will go with portside as they are offering the same as the others are a better rate.

Cheers,

Chris
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Everything was the same between the two other than I had requested a quote for $10,000 content insurance instead of $5,000.

And yes, both were agreed value.

I’ve sent you a PM.
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

My recommendation would be to speak with Heather Bonadie at Rhodes and Williams before you make a final decision. Heather is a certified marine expert and only deals with boat insurance. As already mentioned, Rhodes is a broker and will assist in finding the best insurance for you from a variety of companies. From my experience, there is always a reason why a particular insurance is cheaper than another, sometimes it's because it's legitimately a great deal, however and more often than not the discount reflects less coverage which you will only discover when it's too late.

Heather has been part of the fishing community for many years and will nicely explain in simple terms the most important facts about marine insurance which will help guide your decision. She also won't hesitate to tell you if your existing deal is better than what she can offer, something which has earned her a lot of respect. Be sure to mention Renegade Bass, we enjoy favorable rates which she will pass on to you.

The call cost nothing and please report back here if it was worth it or not.

Heather Bonadie
Rhodes and Williams
(613) 226-6590
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

Hey,

Paul, ended up going with Heather. The coverage was better at only a minor price difference. Thanks again for the tip!

Cheers,

Chris
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

After visiting the boat show in Toronto and chatting with almost all the insurance companies I just switched over to Portside. Very friendly and competitive pricing, actually less than half of what I was paying thru my local company here in Peterborough.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Paul Shibata wrote:My recommendation would be to speak with Heather Bonadie at Rhodes and Williams before you make a final decision. Heather is a certified marine expert and only deals with boat insurance. As already mentioned, Rhodes is a broker and will assist in finding the best insurance for you from a variety of companies. From my experience, there is always a reason why a particular insurance is cheaper than another, sometimes it's because it's legitimately a great deal, however and more often than not the discount reflects less coverage which you will only discover when it's too late.

Heather has been part of the fishing community for many years and will nicely explain in simple terms the most important facts about marine insurance which will help guide your decision. She also won't hesitate to tell you if your existing deal is better than what she can offer, something which has earned her a lot of respect. Be sure to mention Renegade Bass, we enjoy favorable rates which she will pass on to you.

The call cost nothing and please report back here if it was worth it or not.

Heather Bonadie
Rhodes and Williams
(613) 226-6590

Noted, thanks. Will be calling Heather and Portside next week. :-)

E